A Class Fave: Cosmic Kids Yoga

Jaime is the instructor on Cosmic Kids Yoga

Have you heard of Cosmic Kids Yoga? I have used this resource in my classroom over the years (especially during pandemic teaching when we didn’t have access to the gym) and my students really love it.

What I love about it is that I can quickly do a search on YouTube and find videos that vary in length and themes. The instructor, Jaime, is very animated in story telling. Throughout each yoga session she takes kids through an adventure story filled with actions and yoga positions for the kids to follow along to so they are also a part of the adventure. If my students are into dinosaurs, there is dinosaur yoga. The movie Frozen, Star Wars, springtime, underwater adventures, and more! Cosmic Kids Yoga has it all!

During the pandemic, my students would follow along to yoga quests. We would have to complete a series of yoga stories and follow along on a map to earn a badge. We would do yoga a couple of times a week to make up more physical education minutes.

benefits focus page on the Cosmic Kids Yoga app

Now in my classroom, I use it if my students need a body break. I also find it useful if your lesson you have planned doesn’t use the whole period and you need a filler. I always let my students know that it is part of their physical education mark and what I am looking for as they participate in classroom yoga. Using yoga this way is a good way to help those busy bodies reset. It is good for mindfulness too (Jaime even has videos for mindfulness). It is also great for the teacher to reset before the next lesson. I always dim the lights, remind students that it is quiet time, and I strategically spread them out around the classroom (and have them practice personal space).

option to select videos based on the time on the Cosmic Kids Yoga app

Since I am not in the classroom currently and I was already aware of this resource prior to starting my learning journey, I thought I would download the Cosmic Kids Yoga app and check it out. On the home page it has featured videos, yoga, mindfulness, relaxations, bedtime, brain breaks, dancing, quests, and benefits. You can also choose videos based on length or by age. The app looks super kid-friendly, using lots of images with short amount of text. You can save videos you like and download some to use without wifi. If you are someone who has children at home, or would like to download the app to the tablets at your school, I would highly recommend. Like I said, Cosmic Kids Yoga is a class favourite and I use it all of the time. Please check it out if you haven’t done so before!

One thought on “A Class Fave: Cosmic Kids Yoga

1. Hi Megan,
    This seems like a great option for my grade 1’s for indoor recesses, brain breaks or like you said, times where the gym is unavailable. I’m always looking to keep things fun and fresh in grade 1! This will be a great resource to have in my pocket for when I need it!