I have always kept all my social media private, secured and locked down from the public, and only post things I would be comfortable with my grandma seeing! This was a piece of advice I was given in middle school that has stuck with me. Being an educator, it is important to remember what you post on social media is a reflection of who you are and that is the impression you are leaving students and their families with. In my classroom, I have 5 year olds, so they may not necessarily looking me up, but their families may be, so it is just easier to air on the side of caution. However, this is advice I will always remember and teach to any future classes!

Image taken from Google.

In our increasingly connected world, the concept and reality of a digital footprint is more relevant than ever. A digital footprint is the trail of data you leave behind whenever you use the internet. This includes everything from social media posts and online purchases to emails and search history. Knowing this, understanding this, and being able to efficiently manage your digital footprint is crucial for protecting your privacy and reputation social hub we now live in. Knowing that your social media is a reflection of you, only present what you want others to see, and know that potential job employers could be sleuthing on your social media to know more about who you are. Being an educator is my livelihood, so I do not post things that can put my job in a compromising position. Teaching this lesson to middle school students is important as your digital footprint can follow you for life!
Tips to Manage your Digital Footprint:
-use strong unique passwords
-change passwords often
-always be mindful of what you share and only post what you’d be okay with your grandma seeing!
-check your privacy settings
-be particular with public wifi sources
-clear browsing data to prevent ad tracking/download an ad blocker extension
-educate yourself on digital awareness and footprints