In today’s very tech-driven world, students are constantly and consistently being exposed to technology wherever they are! When thinking about teaching digital citizenship, I want to make sure that teaching safety is the number 1 and that everything through technology must be done in a safe and appropriate way. I do not want to teach with a scare tactic approach like I was taught with, as this did not properly educate me on technology, but scared me from it.

The nine elements of digital citizenship outlined:

1. Digital Access
  2. Digital Commerce
  3. Digital Communication
  4. Digital Literacy
  5. Digital Etiquette
  6. Digital Law
  7. Digital Rights and Responsibilities
  8. Digital Health and Wellness
  9. Digital Security (Self-protection)

To ensure these elements are effectively taught, digital citizenship should be woven into the curriculum rather than treated as a standalone topic, and taught in a way that expresses the consequences of poor technology use, without instilling fear. This integration can be achieved through:

• Cross-curricular Projects: Develop projects that incorporate digital citizenship while including cross-curricular subjects (English-have students create an online blog that can be monitored)
  • Ongoing Professional Development: Participate in professional development opportunities focused on the latest trends and best practices in digital citizenship education. Keep up to date with technology!!!
  • Parental Involvement: Engage parents with workshops and resources to support digital citizenship education at home for themselves and their children. Provide educational videos, links, and resources!

By adopting a structured and safe approach to teaching the 9 elements of digital citizenship, educators can prepare students to navigate the digital world safely and responsibly while still being informed. This preparation not only enhances students’ academic experience but also equips them with essential life skills for the digital world we live in. Technology is only going to enhance and bloom from here so starting with the foundational skills is the best place to start!