Summary of Learning Video Link for EC&I 832

Here is the my summary of learning video link for EC&I 832 Digital Citizenship and Media Literary.

I really appreciated this course and all of the discussion that we had in our breakout sessions. Thank you to Dr. Alec Couros and all of the members of the 2023 EC&I course for furthering me down my path as an educator.

Mr. D. Dickson

3 thoughts on “Summary of Learning Video Link for EC&I 832

1. Your discussion of post class “self talk” really resonated with me Darryl. Early in my masters I had to talk my self off the ledge after I saw an impressive group presentation. There was video/sound editing, stock footage, voice over – it was really impressive stuff. I looked at what I was coming up with and felt completely inadequate. However, you are correct – everybody is at different points in their media literacy journey. It took me about a year of classes before I had wrapped my mind around how to make a good video presentation, but I am glad that I have those skills now. For teachers 15-20ish years into our careers it sometimes feels like we’ve been “left behind”, but now that I’ve seen what happens in these classes I think we have an advantage. We have tons of experience that we can convey and support with the technology, plus we have the maturity and judgement to pick and choose what we think will be helpful.

2. Great video, Darryl. I can certainly appreciate the steep learning curve of setting up a blog and learning all the tools necessary to create a summary of learning. It is hours upon hours of building our media literacy and fluency, but it really does pay off in the end for both the classes we teach (gives us something new we can use in the classroom or in a professional capacity) and for any future ed tech courses we take (the second or third time around it is SO much easier to navigate and set up and figure out). One thing from your video that I wanted to applaud was the aha moment you had with creating a video for an assembly. Sometimes we ‘leave it to the tech people’ to create the videos or presentations we have in mind when in reality, we have the skills to do it ourselves, but just need to tap into those skills – we HAVE the skills now, but don’t always think of ourselves having them or tap into them because of dependencies we have established and hidden behind. I think this has a lot to do with confidence in our skills and how being able to play around with different tools in ECI 832 definitely helps build our confidence in using media/tech for a variety of purposes. Thanks for sharing and best of luck with the rest of your program 🙂 -Jacquie

3. This is a great summary of learning, Darryl, that thoroughly reminded me of everything I take with me from this course. I truly appreciate your perspective as an administrator and unabashedly believe that your staff is fortunate to have you. When you realized they were lacking in digital literacy skills, you had two paths to choose from – blame them or empathize with their learning journey. Kudos to you for choosing the second path – improved supports and an inclusive learning environment for teachers equals an even greater benefit to students. We are all on different paths of this digital journey, and as long as we keep moving on the path and helping others as we go….well, then I think it will all work out in the end. Thank you for all your amazing insights. Best wishes!