My Lumi Video: The Attachment Theory

Woman with newborn baby

A  picture of attachment theory

A BIT ABOUT ATTACHMENT THEORY

I chose this picture as it illustrates attachment theory. The baby is safe and secure in the arms of a trusted adult. They are face-to-face and making eye contact. The baby knows that the adult is interested in them and can quickly respond to their needs. The baby’s intrinsic need for emotional bonding with a safe adult is met, enabling the baby to develop relationships with others. All children want and need to feel safe and secure. Attachment theory helps explain this.

I chose the topic of attachment because it is vital that Early Childhood Educators (ECE’S) understand the basis of attachment for young children. ECE’s need to be able to assess their own interactions with children in order to provide the best possible environment for children. Some children do not develop secure attachment with a trusted adult and challenging behaviors can be seen. It is important ECE”S recognize the behaviour for what it is and respond to the child in a warm, caring and appropriate way. In addition, ECE’s are often a source of support for families and can share information and strategies with parents.

Attachment theory is taught at the beginning of the course. The theory emphasizes that it is usually the mother who is the primary caregiver. This tends to be true in our Western, North American society. In some cultures, people in addition to the mother meet the emotional needs of the baby. Alternate worldviews of attachment are also discussed in the course. Here is a link to an article that highlights an alternative view.

A BIT ABOUT LUMI

I thought Lumi was great! It was a tool that I have been needing with my online courses. I am definitely going to use Lumi once the Fall term begins. I am always looking for ways to break through the barrier of the computer screen.  Youtube videos are more interactive and engaging with Lumi. I am curious to see if students can work on a Lumi video together in a breakout room. I use breakout rooms as much as possible as it is an opportunity for connections to be made between students. I can’t wait to try thiis idea out.

BUT I STRUGGLED

I struggled to get the timing of the interactive videos just right. It was difficult to embed the activities in the correct spot. Part of the issue was the video I chose it there were no natural breaks between concepts. I also found it a bit “clunky” but I think this will improve with practice.

MY VIDEO

I chose to make a Lumi video on the attachment theory as it is a fundamental concept to the course. Students need to understand the types of attachment and how they are manifested in young children. I was thinking about the student who would have missed the class on attachment theory. What do I want that student to know? How can it be learned asynchronously? I didn’t want the student to only watch a recording of the class on attachment; I wanted the student to be able to engage with the concepts. I have more in mind for the asynchronous class on attachment theory. For now, and for better or worse, here is my video. I welcome comments on ways to make it better!

https://app.Lumi.education/run/w0kUBe

Woman holding two thumbs up into the air

4 thoughts on “My Lumi Video: The Attachment Theory

1. I had similar struggles as the video kept flowing and I felt I had to cut into some other parts of the video, making it feel out of place. I think with more practice and potentially different videos, it will only get better. Also, what a great topic! So true. Is this course strictly online or blended? Great work!

• Hi Raegyn, The course is fully online. There are no face-to-face classes as the students live in different communities in the Yukon. The classes are synchronous as we all meet at the same time over Zoom. I designed the Lumi video to be used asynchronously by students who were absent from class.

2. Your video looks great! I agree and think with more practice creating these videos will become more seamless. You incorporated a variety of activities that help students reflect on the topic. I added a couple of links to my video to supplement some of the information shared. I’m not sure if it takes away from the actual video or adds to it. Thanks for sharing your video!

3. Laura,

Well done on your first attempt! I just finished the video Katia shared to gain a better understanding, but wanted to come take a look at others before I got started on my own. I really liked how it stopped the video to ensure the learners were pausing, following along, and engaged with the material. I definitely think this is something where practice makes perfect for all of us and I’m glad I was am able to take a peak at yours before beginning my own.
    I was excited to see we were in another class together! I always look forward to reading your posts & what you have to share during class discussions. I hope the rest of this term goes well for you.

– Kennedy