Learning project

“Unlocking a New World: The Braille Journey Comes to a Fulfilling Conclusion”

Happy woman celebrating success. Ecstatic competition winner celebrating victory. Studio shot of excited young African American girl in casual top raising her hands up and shouting Hurray, I did it

EDTC 300 was a spring class and in this class, I had to take up a learning project that required me to learn something new or something I have an interest in. Along with picking up a new skill, I also learned how to blog and where to look for online resources and what kinds of materials work best for me. During this learning project, I discovered that videos were the most helpful resources because they gave me the ability to not only listen but visually see what I am learning. I could also pause and repeat this process as often as I wanted.

I Did It Means Achieve Message And Advertisement

This is the summary of my Learning project. For my learning project, I decided to learn Braille. It was not an easy journey at all, I have had challenges learning Braille, I have failed several levels on the Braille Academy app and challenges and despite all these, Yay! I have been able to learn and master all the alphabets, numbers, Capitalization, and punctuation. Though it is still a long journey to writing, reading, translating/ transcribing Braille but It was a fulfilling journey for me. During this journey, I have found so many great resources, videos, apps, games, and websites that I can continue to use to perfect my Braille lessons as I move past EDTC 300.

Journey to learning Braille believe in yourself

WEEK 1

The first week post was basically talking about what I will focus on during the 6 weeks spring class  and I laid out reasons why I am motivated to learn Braille and why educators like me should be interested in learning Braille.

Learning Braille in a fun way

WEEK 2

For the 2nd week, I talked about definition of Braille and also shared the video of me practicing the six key input. I used my laptop keyboard to practice the dots . Letters s ,d, f as 3, 2,  1 and j, k ,l as 4, 5, 6 .

Pre-Braille Practice

WEEK 3

This is the week I tried to familiarize myself with the basics of Braille. The alphabets, braille cells, and the raised dots and how the dots form each alphabet.

Learning Braille – Braille Basics and alphabet A- J

WEEK 4

In week 4 , i thought I would be able to practice alphabets and numbers but unfortunately , it was a bit of a challenge mastering the alphabets so i couldnt get to the numbers. This week I was able to use various resources to learn and practice my alphabets. I used  YouTube videos and i also discovered the The Braille App . its the best thing i have used to practice so far. I listen and watch videos but been able to practice on phone anywhere and everywhere i go is the best thing . I love the app.

WEEK 5
I focused on the alphabet K to T, and it was not an easy week as well because even though I practiced every day I still had difficulty mastering some of the alphabets.
I bought a braille mat that I can touch and feel the dots and this also helped me practice on my bed before I sleep instead of using my phone because I always try to avoid the screen at least 2 hours before bedtime.

Learning Braille Alphabets K-T

WEEK 6

This is one of the easiest learning weeks for me. I learned the alphabet U to Z and Braille numbers, punctuation, and capitalization. It seemed like a lot during this week, but I was able to learn quickly.

https://edusites.uregina.ca/olawanle/2024/06/14/learning-braille-basics-in-5-weeks/

I also took the test your knowledge with our braille alphabet fun quiz! on How the braille alphabet works – Perkins School for the Blind and i scored 23/26. I don’t think its too bad for a beginner like me.

. I also took the test your knowledge with our braille alphabet fun quiz! on How the braille alphabet works – Perkins School for the Blind and i scored 23/26. I don't think its too bad for a beginner like me

During this week I also tried translating from braille to words and it included everything I have learned from alphabets to numbers, punctuation and capital letters and I also passed my first exercise. Please find below the pictures of my exercise and a congratulations message on it.

Extra Resources

UEB Online | UEB Literacy & Mathematics Braille Training

Braille for Beginners Lessons – The Braillists Foundation

Braille Literacy Canada | Resources for educators

Perkins Brailler Writer

Hable Blogs (iamhable.com)

Beginner’s Guide to Braille – Everyday Sight

1 Comment

1. Hi Ola, you did it!! Congratulations on achieving your goal! I’m sure you’ve learned a lot during your journey, and it must be really satisfying to see what you’ve accomplished. If I decide to learn Braille, I’ll definitely look at the resources you’ve shared. Great job! 🙂