ECS 203 Blog #5 The Purpose of Teaching Treaty Education

During fall semester several years ago, Dr. Mike Cappello received an email from an intern asking for help. Here’s part of it: “As part of my classes for my three week block I have picked up a Social Studies 30 course. This past week we have been discussing the concept of standard of living and looking at the different standards across Canada . I tried to introduce this concept from the perspective of the First Nations people of Canada and my class was very confused about the topic and in many cases made some racist remarks. I have tried to reintroduce the concept but they continue to treat it as a joke. The teachers at this school are very lax on the topic of Treaty Education as well as First Nations ways of knowing. I have asked my Coop for advice on Treaty Education and she told me that she does not see the purpose of teaching it at this school because there are no First Nations students. I was wondering if you would have any ideas of how to approach this topic with my class or if you would have any resources to recommend.”

-here is my own personal response RK…

Dear Intern,

It saddens my heart to hear the struggles you are facing attempting to teach Treaty Education for your Social Studies 30 class. It is my hope that I can remind you why this mission is important and renew your ambition to teaching a new and more enlightened generation of people.

I think that Treaty Education and (FNMI) content is especially most beneficial being taught to Canadian settler students. We need to remember that many First nations people are made to feel as though they do not belong amongst Canadian settlers, whether it is subtle or unsubtle. Within our society we need to unlearn this engrained racism that is so prevalent towards First Nations people and anyone outside of the dominant race here in Canada. By teaching Treaty Education and (FNMI) content in the classroom we are going to help our Canadian settler students unlearn racism. As Clair Kreuger states in her video, Introducing Treaty Education: Ensuring the success of First Nation students, “Is not an Indian problem, It’s a white problem”.  It is the horrific treatment and exclusion towards First Nations students while they are attending our white learning facilities that cause them to not succeed.

Teaching Treaty education and (FNMI) content about the past and present issues concerning First Nations people to our Canadian students is how we can move forward and begin to undo the damage that has been done, and work on building a good relationship with both White Canadian settlers and First Nations people. As stated by Dwayne Donald in his lecture, On What Terms Can We Speak, “it is time to face each other across these historical divides and begin to think of an e qualitatively different relationship that is respectful, ethical and relational”. This is why education matters, and it is more than just reciting the history that took place here. It is teaching Canadian settlers to acknowledge the need to honor the treaty ceremonies that made it possible for them to be here. As Krueger states, “we can recognize the possibilities of relating to each other in good ways”. This is what makes us all “Treaty People”, and this is what brings us together and what we have in common, both settler and First Nations. As Cynthia Chambers states in We Are All Treaty People, “The common is what sustains us all: it is the true curriculum, the one that calls us to renew our relationships with one another,” (pg. 30).

So dear student, I hear your struggle and understand the hurdles you need to jump, but don’t give up. Through education and the love in our hearts, we are in-stilling a desire within our students to positively change the future.

Works Cited

Chambers, C. (n.d.). We are all treaty people. Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RpFQAVShNlNLA9u6aXv7udGnzTGk5LNN/view

On What Terms Can we Speak? (2023). Vimeo. Retrieved June 4, 2023, from https://vimeo.com/15264558.

One thought on “ECS 203 Blog #5 The Purpose of Teaching Treaty Education

1. I love this response. If I were to be the one receiving this email I would have felt immense hope. I would understand the importance of the information and it really resonates with me. It lit a spark on why we have to teach this and how it helps the students. Sometimes it’s easy to want to give up but this email and advice would make me strive harder to succeed in these teachings.