Getting the Hang of Excel

Getting the Hang of Excel

So this week I thought I would watch a series of tiktok videos from a creator named Mike Tholfsen. He has hundreds of videos (give or take) that discuss helpful tricks or cool aspects of Excel. His videos are able to show how exactly you can follow the steps to acquire the desired results. I am not someone who does well with vague instructions so his videos were the best ones that I found. I was also asked by my mom to fix a spreadsheet that had been edited by one of her colleagues in such a way that made it useless. So I searched through his videos and found lots of quick edits I could use to make the sheet useable again, without having to completely restart! I feel like I am already getting the hang of things.

When I started the document was merged together in a way that no new rows could be added for the dates and locations of new events. Obviously there is personal data on the sheet so I have included only the dates column. Although it doesn’t look like much, but I don’t know if two weeks ago I would have been able to unmerge and remerge all of the rows. I still need to make this look better but I think its a step in the right direction.

3 thoughts on “Getting the Hang of Excel

1. Hey Sarah! I think the project of fixing a messed up Excel sheet is a really cool way to learn Excel! Whenever I was stuck with something on Excel at work and needed a quick fix, this Youtube channel often helped. I will admit, some concepts are way over my head but the videos that pertained to things like charts and tables really helped. I hope it comes in handy! https://www.youtube.com/@ExcelinaMinute/videos

2. I love that you chose Excel! I actually taught myself how to make a spreadsheet to track sports game when I was bored once haha. For me, I found YouTube very resourceful as I was able to look up whatever I wanted to learn and could find walkthroughs. Looks like you are getting a good hand of things. Really cool activity to help you learn!