Teaching Manifesto

I am an able-bodied, cis woman, an after-degree education student, living on treaty 6. I moved to Canada in March 2022 and call myself a settler Canadian. I am a preservice teacher and looking forward to becoming a teacher.

I believe the purpose of education is to enhance learning and knowledge. Also, to make students understand their strengths and skills necessary in life. As stated by Orr in What Is Education For? “The goal of education is not mastery of subject matter but mastery of one’s person.”

I support education for equality and social justice. It helps to improve the classroom environment leading to better learning experiences and successful classroom management.

Where I grew up, females were always pushed back and never appreciated for their contribution. As a teacher, I will ensure that in my classroom all students are treated with equal opportunities and justice.

In this course, I learned about the real meaning of truth and Reconciliation. Also, I support the idea of there is no Reconciliation without telling the hard truths. As Grafton and Melancon state in The Dynamics of Decolonization and Indigenization, “There is no reconciliation without truth, nor without real institutional and political change” (p. 140). As a treaty person, I have the responsibility to support and acknowledge the truth about the land’s history.

I believe that biology is a subject that enables us to talk about equity, inclusivity, holistic view of life in the classroom. I would implement these concepts in my classroom. I recognize the fact that being an immigrant I am not qualified to teach certain concepts. But I would try to facilitate learning by inviting Indigenous Peoples to share some experiences on that topic.

I believe my teaching philosophy is like a road trip. Sometimes it’s amazing, exciting, and adventurous and sometimes it’s exhausting. But at the end of the day, it defines my journey.

Reference-

Grafton, E., & Melancon, J. (2020). Chapter 8: The Dynamics of Decolonization and Indigenization in an era of Academic “Reconciliation”. In S. Cote-Meek, & T. Moeke-Pickering (Eds.), Decolonizing and Indigenizing Education in Canada (pp. 135- 153). Toronto, Ontario: Canadian Scholars.

Orr, D.W. (2011). What Is Education For? (1990). In: Hope is an Imperative. Island Press, Washington, DC. https://doi-org.libproxy.uregina.ca/10