My First Experience with Coding

During this week’s class, where we read, watched videos, presented in groups, and did activities, I learned much about coding and maker spaces. I never knew much about coding or maker spaces before, even though I’ve seen my brother messing around with code on his computer. But now, after this class, I understand the basics of coding and why it’s important in today’s digital world. Each class session has been a journey of discovery, presenting me with new concepts and perspectives I had never encountered before. I’ve learned a lot about coding basics and the many things you can do in maker spaces. Coding, I’ve learned, is not just about writing lines of code; it’s a tool for problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. Similarly, maker spaces provide students with a collaborative environment to explore, experiment, and innovate. Reflecting on what I’ve learned, I realize the immense value of integrating coding and makerspaces into educational settings. These concepts not only equip students with essential skills for the future but also foster a culture of lifelong learning and innovation. As I continue to explore this fascinating field, I look forward to uncovering more insights and opportunities for growth.

Html code

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels

Teachers are aware that learning to code has many advantages for children, that it is the new lingua franca and the language of the future, and that it is a skill that will be in high demand in the job market in the future. Coding is crucial for children of all ages, not just those who plan to study computer science and information technology in school and pursue careers in the field. for both present and future generations, the ability to code is quickly becoming a necessary literacy skill. Why is that so? Mostly because technology is all around us, and since computers and other gadgets can’t communicate with us using our language, we must instead utilize the machine code that they can understand, which is written in binary or hexadecimal.

why coding is important in the classroom

• First of all, coding is fundamentally a creative process where something is created from nothing. children’s creativity improves when they are forced to employ their imagination, talent, and skills all at once when starting from scratch. Children that are curious and imaginative can develop their creative thinking skills through coding.
  • Additionally, teaching children to code is a pleasant and enjoyable activity. For instance, websites like code.org provide children with a variety of games, workouts, and riddles. This is meant to catch their attention, and it does it very successfully because youngsters are fascinated by how computers, games, and websites operate and coding is like magic.
  • Moreover, zeros and ones are used in the construction of computers, and coding involves processing mathematical operations. Children are learning how to solve problems by applying calculating techniques, logical techniques, and other mathematical procedures. Thus, it aids children in developing their computational thinking.
  • Not only this, more practice than theory is needed in coding. By doing, children pick it up. All programmers use a variety of coding environments, including PyCharm, Visual Studio, and others. Kids can use tools like those mentioned above to practice their programming skills while they are still learning. In light of this, learning to code is useful.
  • Children are taught that they can create anything they desire in life when they learn to code, provided they put in the effort to see it through. Their perception of what is feasible in both the virtual and general real worlds is stretched by this. They start to think and consider problems in more complex and “crazy” ways, giving challenges that they might not have otherwise given any thought.

Before taking this course, I never tried coding or even thought about Makerspace. It’s a completely new concept for me, but I’m eager to incorporate it into my teaching. I believe it’s an excellent way to teach math in the classroom. I’ve learned a lot about how coding and Makerspace can enhance teaching and learning. They help students become more creative and better at solving problems. However, using coding isn’t easy for every teacher or student. Sometimes, gamification can be distracting, leading students to spend more time playing video games than learning to code. Even though more students are participating, there’s still a lack of focus on problem-solving and practical coding skills. I’ve noticed that some kids struggle to apply what they learn or get sidetracked by games. Additionally, I’ve seen courses that focus too much on instruction and don’t emphasize practice enough. If students don’t practice coding regularly, they might forget what they’ve learned. Many students find it challenging to apply their knowledge in practice and end up forgetting. While there are many practice sites available, students may not know about them or lack the motivation to use them. Engaging students in coding, especially online or without guidance, is a significant challenge for teachers.

In conclusion, it’s reasonable to believe that coding is one of the most beneficial activities for children to pursue. It not only helps them develop skills like perseverance, communication, creativity, and critical thinking, but also opens doors to numerous opportunities beyond just career prospects. It’s evident that technology and computer programming are becoming increasingly integral to our daily lives. Just 15 years ago, cell phones were not as widespread, and paper products dominated. Now, even young children are adept at using devices like iPads and computers. As time progresses, computer programming will only become more crucial for success in various fields. By teaching children these skills, we not only empower them to navigate and utilize technology effectively but also equip them with a significant advantage for their future endeavors.