Beyond the Screen: Cyber-Shaming and Digital Footprints

Welcome back to the blog my friends!

Today’s topic is an interesting one. To continue our conversation about the everlasting affects of our digital footprints. Is it a good thing to be having our identity online for everyone to have access to? Should our digital footprint be erased and started over when we turn 18? Should people have the same consequences for their online activity as their in-person activity? So many questions arise when we open this up. So, let’s dive right into it!

A literal digital footprint

To start, during class when we were tasked to see what we could find out about ourselves just from a simple Google search, how did you feel? What first came to mind? Anxious? Scared? Embarrassed? I felt all the above. I really had no idea what was going come up. Luckily, nothing came up that I was surprised about, nor did I have anything to feel embarrassed about. I have never had a Facebook or X (Twitter) account, and although my Instagram is private, I’m not overly active on posting material. So, with that regard, I was okay. Other than that, I had a few different sport related items come up. This was a relief to me as I really had no idea what was going to come up when searching my name. I hope most of you all had similar results!

Googling yourself

Now comes to the controversial part… should things we find online about people follow them around forever? Should we be publicly shaming people for things they have like, said, or done online? Should we be firing people from their day jobs for their digital footprint? Should politicians and celebrities be held to another standard than teachers and nurses? Well in my humble opinion, for the most part, I do NOT think what we do or say as children/teenagers should follow us into our adult lives. I promise you I am a much different person than I was when I was 16 years old. Now saying that, if you do or say something online as an adult, then yes, I believe there should be consequences. For example, for the lady who tweeted racial comments and worked in PR as we saw in class, then yes, I believe that her getting fired from her job was a accurate consequence. However, I do not believe she should have gone viral, with the whole world hating on her. This can lead to so many serious issues. Two negatives do not make a positive (unless we are multiplying integers). I believe some of comments she received was just as bad as her initial comment and yet those people, from my knowledge, did not receive and backlash. So, where do we draw the line?

Cyber-Shaming

Much to think about when it comes to our digital footprint. Let me know what you all think about some of these topics!

Zach

Published by

nenson1z

My name is Zach Nenson.  I was born here in Regina, Saskatchewan.  I have lived here my hole life with majority of my family here who I am very close with.  I attended W.F. Ready Elementary School and Balfour Collegiate High School.  After high school I went on to University of Regina on a wrestling scholarship studying Kinesiology.  I ended up dropping out after a year and decided to enter the work force.  I started working as an electrician and obtained a journeyman ticket from Sask Polytechnic in Moose Jaw.  After working as an electrician for about five years I realized it was something that I did not want to do for the rest of my life.  It didn't give me the fulfilment I was looking for in a life long career.       I currently am working as an educational assistant for Regina Public Schools.  I have been doing this for about five years now.  This is the main reason why I decided to get into Education.  I found a real passion helping kids in the classroom.  The satisfaction I get while seeing the progress these kids make throughout the year not only as a student but as an individual is something I will never get sick of seeing.  Growing up with a mom who is an educator I've seen what a fun but challenging career like this can look like. In my spare time I enjoy spending it with family and friends.  I have played all kinds of sports my whole life so any type of exercise I enjoy.  The two sports I currently still play is soccer and golf.  When I have time I really enjoy traveling as well.  Right after high school I went to Thailand for three months where I didn't leave the beach.  A few years later I went backpacking through South America for about six months.  The memories and friends I met along the way are memories that I will never forget.  I loved learning different types of cultures and customs that other countries had to offer.  It has taught me many different life lessons as well as to be open minded while meeting people with different life styles than mine.