Teaching myself ASL

Teaching myself ASL

"Amanda" in ASL

All of my choices for this project seem to be what other people have as their top choices as well. I am not often one to want to be original or different than the rest, but with this project I am finding it difficult to choose. I had planned on teaching myself to play children’s songs in a fun way, on the guitar. The guitar and I have a love-hate relationship. I do not love that I am not an amazing musician when it comes to this instrument. However, a person would have to regularly practice in order to attain a level of expertise I wish to acquire… I lack the dedication, unfortunately.

So, in making a decision of what to teach myself in this course this semester, I decided to choose something that I would be less likely to annoy myself with. ASL has always been a language that I have had interest in learning. My mother, while pregnant, had this overwhelming sense that I would be deaf. She knew it to her core, her motherly instincts were ablaze with knowing I would be a child who would grow up with the inability to hear. So, she began to teach herself ASL. Now, this was long before the internet so she would go to the library and rent books, immerse herself in communities where there were folks who were hard of hearing. Fast forward to the end of her pregnancy and low and behold.. her motherly instincts were not so on point. I was a fully able-hearing baby girl.

This story has always made me giggle but has equally instilled a yearning to learn the language. It is beautiful to watch people have full signing conversations. I have also had many experiences with caring for babies in my life and sign language for them is a wonderful tool for communicating. Young children who are beginning to acquire language have an easier time with it when they sign before they learn to speak. In an article by the babycenter the author(s) outline a myriad of other reasons why sign language for babies is beneficial to children’s  early development.

So, in my ASL belt I already have a few signs one would use with babies (more, please, thank you, water, food, outside, poop) and the alphabet. What I would like to learn in this project are more words and sentences one would use in conversation. I would love to be able to have a conversation with someone using ASL. I feel that this will be something I could bring to my classroom and even the daycare I am currently working in, in the future.

6 thoughts on “Teaching myself ASL

1. Hi Amanda,

I think that learning ASL would be such a great resource to have as a teacher. Not only to be extra prepared for students with exceptionalities but I think it could even be used on a day to day basis to check for understanding with your students. I have a problem in my classroom with students over sharing. I feel Iike if I taught them to sign “me too” in ASL it could alleviate some of this along with being able to utilize this for formative assessment. Overall, I’m really excited to see where this journey takes you!

2. Hi Amanda,
    I think learning ASL is an amazing idea, I wish I thought of it. I was recently placed in a school who specialized in students with hard-of-hearing, so there were a lot of interpreters present. I always found myself in awe of sign language and thought how they communicated was super interesting. I also which I knew ASL so that I would be able to communicate with these students one on one instead of through an interpreter. I looking forward to seeing your journey of learning ASL.

3. Hi Amanda,
    I have read through your posts about learning ASL and I would say this is a great choice of what to learn. In this age and time, human communication ability is flexible and not limited to speech alone. I admire that you chose this as your new learning. It is a sure way towards empathy. I wish you all the best Amanda.

4. I really enjoyed reading the story about your mom and how it has created a connection for you with ASL. I know a bit I have learned over the years and did use it with my own daughter when she was a baby. It is amazing how quickly they catch on and realize that we can communicate that way. I look forward to seeing your progress.

5. Hey Amanda,
    It’s great to see your great interest in ASL! It is interesting on how you have taught your children simple sign language. I think this is such a great idea to have non verbal cues to communicate something. I am just curious how long did it take for your children to learn this?

1. They can pick up on these signs pretty quick! I think it is because there are so many parts to learning how to speak, first you need to know what you want to say, think about what those words are and then get your brain and your mouth to communicate and not to mention all the work that goes into how to form those letters and sounds that correlate with those words. In using ASL, they typically already have some fine and gross motor skills that they can work with and the baby signs are quite simple. So they see that they have to say “please” (circle motion on chest with open palm) before they can have something, and they do it. It is best to have another adult or child who knows the sign to do it so they can see the reciprocal communication and gratifying request!!
      It’s pretty cool!!!