Working at a grocery store I’ve had to deal with shoplifters. On one occasion I made eye contact with a man stealing as he ran out. I went after him and convinced him to stop. We sat and talked for a while and I just listened to his story; person to person.  Afterwards I brought him back to the store and purchased some of his groceries. I assured him he could always ask for help, regardless of circumstance.

I think making a positive impression is way more effective than punishment. This man was obviously already struggling, why make him feel even more alienated than he already does. 

I understand as a teacher, that every one of my students will have a story. I think speaking to students as equals is important. I believe in being a friendly face, and being approachable. Respect has to go both ways. Instilling the idea that you can always ask for help is crucial. There should never be a time you can’t.

As an educator it’s my responsibility to ensure the students under my care are informed on social justices; such as social disparity, prejudices, and inclusion. By supporting, listening, and understanding my students as individuals I can be an innovative role model in the classroom. 

Teaching Journey & Values Autobiography-ECS101

Journey to Reconciliation-ECS101