EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Tasty™ Homemade Buns

This week for my learning project I decided to try out a new app–Tasty. I’ve used one other app for my learning project, Kitchen Stories, and I wanted to see what else was out there for good cooking apps. While scrolling through the App Store looking for a new app, I came across Tasty. I was familiar with their name as they have a ton of short cooking videos that circulate the web, so I decided to give them a shot.

When you go to the search section of the app, it gives you a list of popular tags you can click on to find recipes such as: under 30 minutes, desserts, 5 ingredients or less, breakfast, etc. or you can search for whatever you want. I’ve never made anything with dough before, so that is what I decided to do this week for my learning project. I searched dough and scrolled until something finally caught my eye–Simple Dinner Rolls.

Cooking with dough was actually much easier I thought. In fact, cooking, in general, is way simpler than most people think. As long as you have good directions, cooking is really easy. I combined olive oil, sugar, salt, flour, instant yeast, and water in a large bowl. Then, I mixed the dough for about 10 minutes and then transferred it to a larger bowl where I let it rise for about an hour. After this, I shaped the dough into twelve balls and placed them in a casserole dish. I let them rise for about half-hour and then cooked them at 375˚F for 20 minutes. Once cooked, I basted the tops of them with some melted butter, and they turned out really good!

Overall, I liked using the Tasty App. At the very top of the recipe, there is a video that shows you how to create the entire recipe. Below that, there are step-by-step written instructions. To go with the written instructions, there are also videos that you can click for each step if you are unsure of how to do something. There is also a comments section where you can ask for advice and look for tips from other users. I think this is a really great feature. However, I do think the Kitchen Stories app is superior to this one. I liked using this app, but I found the instructional videos to be better on the Kitchen Stories app compared to this one. There is also more written information available on the Kitchen Stories app, and I liked the UI (user interface) better on Kitchen Stories as well since it doesn’t have advertisements like the Tasty app does.

Thanks for reading!

For more cooking blogs, be sure to check out some of my classmates’ blogs!

Ciera Romanow

Courtney Roppel

Haley Miller

Luke

Melina Palamara

Payge Langmo

Shana Blenkin

Sydney K

• Melina Palamara

Hey Branden! Wow, these buns look amazing! I see buns like this all the time over Pinterest and TikTok and always thought they looked soo good but never gave them a try. Mainly because its bread and I always feel like making bread takes a long time and is a process to perfect however, yours look fantastic and I might actually give these a try! Was the app you used free on the app store or did you have to purchase it? (Thanks for the little shoutout btw, haha!)