Improving my relationship with technology one blog post at a time.

Learning Project: A Berry Proud Moment

I hope everyone who celebrates had a wonderful Easter weekend!

Image source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cardkarma/5644277094

The week leading up to the long weekend was a busy one for me and my family as I spent the weekend in Regina with my daughter for her volleyball tournament, but still managed to sneak in a turkey supper on Sunday.

While the turkey was cooking, I continued working on my strawberry beading project that I started last week. I feel like I deserve a pat on the back for my newfound and continued patience for a skill that I initially found overwhelming and completely unenjoyable. Now, if I have the time, I can sit for more than an hour beading away!

Last week I had started to fill in the berry portion of my strawberry using small flowers of varying colours, which is what I continued to do this week.

{Photo from where I left off last week for reference}

Once I finished with the flowers and filling in the blank spaces, I got to work on the leaves. I was running dangerously low on black beads due to the outline of my strawberry and green beads were slim pickin’s because of my previously completed turtle!

My oldest son walked by as I was starting work on the leaves and commented that he thought it was going to be pretty cool when it was all done. Thanks, kid!

My inspiration photo used a combination of greens in the leaves which I recreated using the limited supply of green that I had left.

Isn’t it cute?! I actually love how my little berry turned out and you can’t even tell that it hitched a ride in the mouth of my cat!

1. Uzma Farhat

Hi Chantelle,
    You did it, it’s beautiful!
    I liked how you beaded with a flower pattern, looks amazing! Keep it up your beading learning journey. I’m looking forward to see your next work!
    Uzma

• Chantelle Turner

Thank you, Uzma! I was lucky to have found a wonderful photo for inspiration!

2. Amanda Amy

Chantelle,
    Your strawberry is beautiful!! I’m glad to hear that with practice and resiliency this is now an activity you enjoy!
    The flowers in your strawberry remind me of bracelets I made when I was younger, out of beads! You would string 8 of the same colour (your pedals) and then loop back through the first bead (making a circle) and add a different coloured bead (the center) and go through a bead across from the first one to secure it in there, you would repeat this process until your bracelet was done!! And I was very fond of this but completely forgot until I saw your beautiful strawberry!!
    So, thank you 🙂

• Chantelle Turner

I love that this post brought up a happy memory for you! I think we all went through a bracelet making phase at some point in our lives! Haha

3. Jaida Smith

Chantelle,

I coach volleyball and we didn’t have a tournament this weekend, but next weekend we have Sask Cup #3. I hope your daughter had lots of fun, when I played Sask Cups were my favourite tournaments. My little sister was in Saskatoon for her hockey tournament, so I went to watch her! Also, I love your multitasking yay!! Your berry is adorable and I love the title of your blog post. I’m glad you had a good Easter and got to spend some time with family!

• Chantelle Turner

What age group do you coach, Jaida? I have two kids that are involved in club volleyball and it’s my son’s turn this weekend at Sask Cup #2 in Regina. As you know, the weekends are always busy, but so much fun! Good luck to you and your team this weekend!
      Glad you were able to spend time with family over the Easter weekend as well!

• Jaida Smith

Hey I just saw this now lol! I coach 15U girls!

4. Emma Metz

Chantelle,

I am always left impressed when I come to your page. Your attention to detail in recreating the greens for the leaves, despite the limited supplies, speaks volumes about your creativity and resourcefulness. And can we just take a moment to appreciate the cuteness of your finished berry? It’s absolutely adorable, and the fact that it survived a cat encounter just adds to its charm! Keep up the wonderful work 🍓

Emma

• Chantelle Turner

Thank you, Emma!
      This really was a survival of the fittest situation. I’m glad the berry came out on top! I appreciate your kind words – they are a source of encouragement and am so grateful!