And so it begins!

“Think back to when you were training to become a teacher. Did you become a more independent thinker when you were listening to your teacher or when you thought about how to get students to think about a subject while you prepared your lesson plan as a student-teacher and while you taught? How about when you were a child? Did you become a better independent thinker and decision-maker when your parents told you what to do or when you got more responsibility?” 

This important excerpt from Why Letting Students Teach Works explains one of the reasons why I feel our joint venture will be successful and worthy of a project. Students love to feel independent, confident, and helpful, which is exactly what I hope this project instills in our kiddos….

Chris Busby and I are embarking on a journey that will include our 2 classrooms, his Grade 3/4 Health class and my Grade 4 Health class.  The following briefly outlines our purpose.  I’m certain we will have some bumps along the road but oh what fun it will be documenting this adventure!! 

Purpose: To explore the use of technology and social media to teach each other and establish connections between students in different schools in a common school community. Students will develop skills that enable them to understand the positive power of social media and technology as a personal and educational tool, that can foster relationships and friendships via asynchronous and synchronous communication.  We will use ‘real time’ communication on Microsoft Teams as well as personal video logs via Flipgrid, as a way of sharing with each other, teaching, and responding to peers, including the following –

*Virtual Teams meetings between classrooms.

*Student Teaching and Responding to Blog Posts – both written and recorded video

*Classes/Individuals will teach a lesson/share information.

*Analysis of the effectiveness of both written and oral communication, via technology.

Curricular Ties

– Health 3.2 Inner Self

– Health 3.4 Families

– Health 4.3 Relationships

Our ultimate goal is to teach children that open communication via technology can foster relationships beyond the digital world and can be a valuable learning tool.  Presenting social media and open communication in a positive way can affect how students will view and use technology in the future and potentially trigger the desire to create and maintain a healthy digital footprint.  While students will be learning about digital tools and communication they will be teaching their peers, albeit virtually, and sharing ideas that they can relate to, understand, and learn.

Digital footprint | Digital footprint, Digital literacy, Education  elementary math

I must admit that I am anxious to get rolling but also nervous.  I have never attempted something like this before, but I do know that I have an excellent teaching partner in this venture, and the students may just love it and learn some cool things along the way!