“As part of my classes for my three week block I have picked up a Social Studies 30 course. This past week we have been discussing the concept of standard of living and looking at the different standards across Canada . I tried to introduce this concept from the perspective of the First Nations people of Canada and my class was very confused about the topic and in many cases made some racist remarks. I have tried to reintroduce the concept but they continue to treat it as a joke. The teachers at this school are very lax on the topic of Treaty Education as well as First Nations ways of knowing. I have asked my Coop for advice on Treaty Education and she told me that she does not see the purpose of teaching it at this school because there are no First Nations students. I was wondering if you would have any ideas of how to approach this topic with my class or if you would have any resources to recommend.” This is a real issue in schools. As you listen to Dwayne’s invitation/challenge, as you listen to Claire’s lecture and as you read Cynthia’s narrative – use these resources and your blog to craft a response to this student’s email, being sure to address the following questions:

I can see how approaching this topic could be a struggle in classes with little exposure to the concepts, other than the ideas they have brought from home. Students are like sponges for information, and if there is discussion in their homes and not schools, they will likely have one-sided beliefs, which can be the result of the racial comments and the lack of seriousness they give the topic. Claire Kreuger has stated that she firmly believes that there are four strands of Treaty Education that need to be understood by students, which helps their understanding. Those strands are treaty relationships, spirit and intent of treaties, historical content, and treaty promises and provisions. These strands could be a good place to start by introducing topics through Indigenous perspectives. The students then will have more knowledge about our connected history with Indigenous peoples. You can also look into Claire’s blog and video for valuable knowledge and ideas: http://clairekreuger.ca/ and http://clairekreuger.ca/class-videos/.

Teaching Treaty Education or First Nations, Metis, and Inuit Content and Perspectives will always be important to teach, even if there are few or no First Nations, Metis, Inuit students in the class. As stated in Dr. Dwayne Donald’s lecture, it is our history. Aboriginal people are being framed as highly cultural, and within this culture has morphed into racism. People think of culture as a disability, giving a reason why aboriginal students struggle in school. Then, on the other hand, students concerned “Canadian Canadians” believe they have no culture, which is also an issue. The biggest issue with this is that without learning about their culture, they cannot comprehend Indigenous problems today, and they have not engaged in the history of their culture that has led to the issues we face today. Teaching Treaty Education to all students, no matter the classroom setting, will help students engage in their and others’ cultures. With this, we can deconstruct the historical divide. As teachers, we need to enforce the idea that all students must learn Treaty Education, not just indigenous students, and routinely teaching Treaty Education will do this. It is everyone’s history.

To understand that “We are all treaty people” is to know that it is our story to tell because we must educate on the treaties. We are all treaty people because the treaties are the history of all Canadians from both sides of the agreement. The treaties are “a shared relationship from which both parties benefit and for which both bear responsibilities.” (pg.36), as said in “We Are All Treaty People.”

• “We Are All Treaty People”: The Contemporary Countenance of Canadian Curriculum Studies. Cynthia Chamber: We are all Treaty People
  • ECS 210, 8.4 Teaching Treaties Q &A. Claire Kreuger: Mike & Claire