Every single person in society should be on his or her own journey toward reconciliation. Mending relationships and healing wounds with the different racial groups. As a future educator, understanding my personal journey toward reconciliation is important for the future of myself, my future students, and the progression of acceptance and reconciliation within society. My mark will be left on the students that come through my classroom, and until my first students, there is still a lot to learn and understand about Indigenous history, present, and future. Residential schools have ever-lasting effects on the Indigenous peoples due to intergenerational trauma, caused by the stressors their elders faced while attending residential schools. On my journey toward reconciliation, I will focus on healing Indigenous people’s relationship with learning, and making a classroom that educates all the students on Indigenous matter and incorporating place-based learning as a way to bring a sense of comfort and acceptance in the classroom. As an educator, I must educate myself on residential schools so I am able to understand the need of an inclusive school environment, and help the Indigenous generations to be more open and accepting of the education system….

Aesthetic Piece

Ireland Cowan: Journey Towards Reconciliation – Google Docs