EDTC300

Cyber Safety Scare

During my time in school, I feel like “cyber safety” wasn’t really talked about much until about grade 10. When we did have our “talk” about being safe on the internet it wasn’t even delivered by one of our teachers, but they brought someone in from the community to talk to us about it. Although it wasn’t much of a conversation, as much as it was more so the presenter turning on the same videos that we had to watch in class about Amanda Todd. and I remember this because they had to send home permission slips for our parents to sign and decide if we were allowed to talk about this topic.

But in just an everyday sense, our school division had Ad blockers, and there were restrictions revolving around websites that were not educational in any sense of the way. There were also URL blockers set in place, and it was very strict, the school division took no chances. As scare tactics go, I think when they showed us the Amanda Todd videos that was like their one attempt at scaring us from doing something that would end up putting us in the same situation.

Personally, as someone who doesn’t use social media much even before the presentation, I found it to not necessary impact my use of social media drastically as I’ve never really had been into it. But the video did opened my eyes to a deeper understanding of how harsh the internet can really be, or how people just act so differently when they’re behind a screen rather than in person.

Some approaches I think are the most helpful in creating digital awareness, and fostering a safe practice within the realm of social media and their online presence. Would be to add in those URL and ad blockers within the classroom setting. As well, as making them aware of the possible outcomes of making your life prevalent throughout social media. I don’t necessarily know if a “scare’ tactic approach is the best option or if just creating an open dialogue about the dangers of the internet would go much further.

Thanks for reading!

• Dylan McCabe

This was a great read Katelyn! I had a similar experience with it being not a very high priority. I remember we had a resource officer come in and like you mentioned not much from our teachers. I also think the scare tactic approach is not always the most effective and there still needs to be more work done in order for success.