EDTC300,  Learning Project

Summers Breeze

This week’s learning project inspo, was motivated through other children’s books that I have read throughout this week in my classroom. A couple of these books being;

While doing so it sparked this idea within my head, to try and tackle something that I tried to do as one of my very first drawings which was supposed to be a landscape.

This week, I relied on Pinterest to help me achieve my goal of creating a semi realistic landscape portrait, that really focuses on the elements of texture. As I believe earlier on in the course when I first tried to attempted to create this picture something just was not working; even though I was using different shades throughout, trying to add dimension, it just wasn’t working.

So, my next best move was to look at Pinterest for something to help with this problem. That’s where I stumbled across this post, about foliage brushes that gave me a better idea of where I was going wrong in the process. Although many of these brushes where not apart of the free bundle that I have, so I adapted and made do with what I have.

Due to this I used, hartz, aurora, tarraleah, wildgrass and the leatherwood brushes throughout this creation. Alongside, the paper daisy pen for the flower bushes. Which lead to the final project looking a little something like this. Although it is far from perfect, and “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” I am quite happy with the progression from this first time I tried to do a landscape creation to this one now. I wish I had saved the first picture I ever tried to make instead of deleting it right off the bat for a comparison of techniques.

Thanks for reading!

• Anna Van Winkoop

Hi Katelyn,

Your journey in creating a semi-realistic landscape portrait sounds both inspiring and educational. It’s wonderful to see how the children’s books you read in your classroom sparked your creativity and motivated you to revisit landscape drawing. Pinterest is indeed a fantastic resource for finding new techniques and tools. It’s great that you discovered foliage brushes that helped you understand where you might have gone wrong in your earlier attempts. Adapting with the brushes you had available shows your resourcefulness and determination to improve.
    It’s a shame you deleted your first attempt, but your reflection on the improvement you’ve seen in your technique is valuable in itself. Your experience highlights the importance of persistence and experimentation in artistic endeavors. Thank you for sharing your creative process and the resources you used. Your story is sure to inspire others to keep trying and exploring new methods in their own projects.

Looking forward to seeing more of your artwork!

• Jelisa Bjola

Hi, Katelyn!

Pinterest is one of my go-to’s, too, when it comes to looking for inspo. Great artwork! Thanks for sharing