Technology is Revolutionizing Learning

Hey, fellow learners!

Ever ruminated about how technology is causing a disruption in our learning? Let us have a look into the world of Edtech and its impact on classrooms; making them more interesting, intelligent, and fun. I still believe after the debate that technology has an impact on learning after today’s talk titled “Technology Has an Impact on Learning,” because:

Instantaneous access to knowledge:

Remember when you had to carry those bulky books around with you? Now students have all the information in the world with just a few clicks. From algebra to zoology there are tutorials on everything you can find on-line libraries, educational websites even You Tube. This massive proliferation helps pupils attain deep understanding of subjects at their own convenience.

Creative, Interactive Education:  

P.C Credit

https://giphy.com/gifs/supersimple-khan-academy-kids-1zhqVGkBjb0ZwfdHiC

Uniform education? No more! Personalized learning has been made possible by technology whereby it addresses the individual needs of students. Some like Khan Academy and Quiz let allow students to learn at their own pace hence easy understanding of the concepts. They have your back whether you are good at math, science or need help with history.

Acquiring 21st Century Competences:

P.C Credit

https://www.tts-group.co.uk/blog/2021/08/23/technology-21st-century-learning-skills.html

The current digital age is not only about reading, writing and arithmetic anymore. In this present world, digital literacy, critical thinking and collaboration are most important.
Technological incorporation in teaching aids nourishes these talents by involving various tools and platforms which imitate real life scenarios. The coding apps, virtual labs and collaborative online projects can be thought

Learning that is Interactive and Engaging:

P.C Credit

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-does-gamification-cme-help-reverse-declining-trend-moses-gomes-

Let’s be honest about it; occasionally conventional lessons can be quite dull but with technology learning becomes alive. Games for education, virtual reality (VR) and multimedia presentations make learning fun. Imagine wearing a VR headset to see ancient Rome or playing a fun game by solving math problems or learning planting trees or surgeries.

Global Connectivity:

Classroom walls have long ceased being walls just thanks to technology. Students can collaborate with their peers, instructors, and experts from many other countries globally. Their classmates from across the planet may become their partners in projects through video conferencing apps such as Zoom or collaborative platforms like Google Classrooms which will enable them to have a better understanding of diverse perspectives and cultures worldwide.

Instant Feedback and Quick Learning:

Anticipation for the test results is quite intense. Nevertheless, current technology allows fast feedback. Students’ online quizzes plus assignments can easily be marked by machines thereby providing them with immediate insight into their success of which this helps identify improvement areas leading to efficient learning.

Preparing for Tomorrow’s Jobs:

P.C Credit

Technology cuts across nearly all careers today. By incorporating tech in education, students become conversant with workplace tools and procedures that they will deal with later in life. Such skills as spreadsheet use, coding or digital design provide a head start for these students regarding their future careers.

Information Age – Tech Vs Traditional Skills:

Others are afraid that traditional schooling may get outplayed by technology. However, an equilibrium school of thought guarantees the best of both worlds for learners. For example, research work and interactive learning could involve using digital tools while traditional ways like writing by hand or face-to-face talks would still build basic knowledge base.

Final Thoughts:

Technology in classrooms enhances education. It provides a wide range of information to students, personalizes learning for each student and equips them with important skills for the modern world. But this is not a smooth ride always as people are concerned that it might hinder creativity, over-reliance on devices by children and even influence mental health.

These are real issues we cannot avoid. Nevertheless, if tech is used wisely we can address these problems. We need to instruct kids how to utilize digital equipment , encourage them to reason critically , and achieve a balance between online time and traditional instruction methods.

This way, we can get the good stuff from tech without the bad stuff taking over. In the end when people use technology and with a plan, it can shake up education for the better. It can make learning more fun, easier to get to, and work better for students all over the world. The trick is to find the sweet spot and make sure tech helps out instead of taking over, the old ways of teaching.

Comment below to share your thoughts with me. I’d love to hear from you!

Happy Learning!

Stay Tuned!

Kavita Monga

10 thoughts on “Technology is Revolutionizing Learning

1. Well done on the debate, Kavita. You and Iida provided valid points to support your side that technology enhances education. If only students could stay on task and use technology efficiently during class time and even at home, they would receive the full benefits from their learning experiences. I try to incorporate technology into my classroom through games and online quizzes that are fun and interactive. The students appear to enjoy using the chromebooks that I provide and many of them will complete the task without interruptions (these are the kids that LOVE math)… however, I have students who dislike math (can you believe that??? haha) and rather surf the web or play video games on their devices instead. I’m not sure how I can police 30+ students every minute of the class time when they are on these devices. Any suggestions would be helpful!

• Thankyou so much Sarah! I really appreciate that you liked it.
      I totally get your frustration—it’s tricky to keep students on task when there are so many distractions online. There are certain solutions :

1. Start with setting some ground rules for tech use in your class. Make it clear what’s acceptable and what’s not, and the consequences for breaking the rules.

. To the students who do not comprehend math, attempt to look for games or activities that are related to math and that will spark the students’ interest. Maybe they like sports? Integrate sports totals into math problems or use pies-charts in problem solving. If they like basketball, there are math games that mimic basketball stats or if they like video games there are games in the style of the video games.

3. The second is, make technology use brief and specific; do not make technology use the main or only content of a lesson. Split up lessons in to shorter segments with specifications that during certain segments tech can be used while in others more traditional methods can be used to keep the students learning and engaged and not becoming bored with the use of the technology.

4. Even, you can make a little reward chart for the students in compliance with the go and see process. It could be something as simple as getting extra time to play during the day, the privilege of not having to do homework for a day or even small treats. Perhaps they would relish the additional break time or in fact, the punch line.

2. Hi Kavita! I really enjoyed yesterday’s debate. I find your point, “Technological incorporation in teaching aids nourishes these talents by involving various tools and platforms which imitate real life scenarios” to be a key reason that technology is so important today. Technology allows learning which may not be available otherwise. An example of this from our debate (I can’t remember who mentioned it) was that dissections weren’t allowed anymore in one of our classmate’s classrooms. It’s so cool to me that students can still learn about anatomy through virtual dissections. Technology allows this learning to continue in a more ethical way!

• Thank you Stacey! Yes, I mentioned about Anatomy classes through virtual dissections. I used this technology because I used to be a medical student and dissections were not allowed since many years in India. And Technology makes our tasks easier to understand everything very precisely.

3. Hi Kavita, thanks for the discussion on yesterday’s debate.From the perspective of a science teacher, I indeed believe that technology supports learning. For instance, there are many scientific concepts that are abstract in nature and cannot be understood theoretically, no matter how a teacher explains the topic. Students need to visualize this topic to enable them understand the microscopic nature of the concept. This is where 2D technologies like PhET simulation, Go Lab and others come in. I have used them in my teaching, and i’ve seen how relevant these technologies are to enhancing my students conceptual understanding.

• Thankyou Ayodele Ogegbo! I appreciate that you liked it. Yes, I even used 3D labs and classes, PhET simulation, Go labs, Google Expeditions, Byju’s and many more in my teaching career. And Every time when I used this technology in my classroom, It made me more smarter.

4. Hi Kavita. You did a great job with your debate yesterday! I really appreciate the comments in your blog about personalizing student learning. We see more and more students in our classrooms who require individualized attention and support for their various learning needs. Technology can be incredibly useful for supporting these learnings if it is well-planned and appropriate for their skill levels. I hope that teacher education and curriculum will start to catch up to the technological level of society, and we can continue to provide enriching experiences for our students.

• Hello Amy! Thankyou so much for your nice comments. Indeed technology transformed our lives. There are various apps that can be used at any time, I mean these apps are useful 24/7. We can study as per our Pace and Style. And yes, it is crucial to plan it before.
      Thanks Again!

5. Hello Kavita, thanks for your debate yesterday, and I enjoyed getting to read this post as well!

I really cannot imagine getting the opportunity to teach using a virtual reality tool. Is this something you have worked with? I imagine that the cost of having VR devices in classrooms or schools would be astronomical so I am not sure how achievable it is, but cool nonetheless!

I did get my students into a couple of coding workshops this year and believe that it is important that student have digital technology skills for their futures. I think you make a very good point that it is difficult to find careers/jobs that do not have some technology use involved.

I appreciate and agree with you when you mention the importance of finding a balance between teaching with technology and in traditional methods. It is something we cannot forget in this ever-changing world!

6. Thank you for sharing this insightful post, Kavita! Your points on how technology revolutionizes learning are compelling. I particularly appreciated your discussion on personalized learning and the role of technology in preparing students for future careers. Your balanced view, recognizing both the benefits and challenges, is essential as we navigate this digital age. The practical examples you provided, such as virtual reality and coding workshops, offer valuable insights into effective tech integration in education. Keep sharing your thoughtful reflections!