Discussion Provocation

Published by rjk361 on

Disability is something as a society we view as detrimental to someone’s ability to live their day-to-day life. The fact of the matter is seen within society’s views on disability. From taking classes here at the university, I have learned that prior history of people living with a disability has been very challenging and we have a very long way to go. Disability can look like many things from being paraplegic to mental health, the definition really can vary from person to person. The problem is that people with disabilities feel they are treated differently because of the disability they live their daily life with.

From taking ECS 101, I learned that the now FIAP program used to be called the ethically mentally retarded program. The fact that the school board allowed that to be the name is disturbing.  Times were different back in the day; however, this term is simply unacceptable. When we use terms like this, it creates a stigma that seems like these people aren’t good enough to be apart of today’s society.  People with disabilities just want to feel like part of society and have access to everyday needs just like everyone else.

Picture yourself as an athlete, you love to train, you work harder then anyone else; however, you have a spinal cord injury that has paralyzed you from the waist down. You want to represent your country in the Olympics; until you learn about the Paralympics that allows athletes with disabilities to represent their country’s and compete against the world.  The problem is the media doesn’t cover the Paralympics like it does the Olympics. The continues with the narrative that people with disability are not seen the same as people without. People with disabilities have been kicked to the side in life by society, and as future educators, it is our job to change the stigma surrounding people with disabilities and show we care!

Categories: ECS 102

rjk361

Hello everyone, my name is Riley Knoll. I am currently a first year student at the University of Regina. I currently am enrolled in the faculty of Education, with hopes of one day graduating with a Physical Education and Mathematics Degree.

Josh · April 13, 2021 at 11:03 pm

I like your take on this subject, and along with most things many years ago things were much worse and like you said in some cases even disturbing of how people got treated. Thankfully society is moving forward and things are getting better and people are getting treated more equally. People with disabilities do not choose to hav these, they are human either way and should get treated like everyone else and have opportunities like everyone else.

Josh · April 13, 2021 at 11:05 pm

I like your take on this subject, and along with most things many years ago things were much worse and like you said in some cases even disturbing of how people got treated. Thankfully society is moving forward and things are getting better and people are getting treated more equally. People with disabilities do not choose to hav these, they are human either way and should get treated like everyone else and have opportunities like everyone else

jdr198 · April 14, 2021 at 12:57 am

Hi Riley,
First off want to say that I loved that you mentioned that mental health can also be a disability. Just because one cant see it does not mean it is not there. I was unaware that the “FIAP program used to be called the ethically mentally retarded program”. That is very disgusting and to be referred to as that if you are part of that community is unacceptable. You are absolutely right that it “creates a stigma” and it also creates a huge divide in our society when people put labels like that on a specific group of individuals. It was interesting when you said “picture yourself, as an athlete” that really engages the reader and makes us think. Everyone wants to feel important so its quite sad that the media does not cover the Paralympics because they have most likely had to go over more obstacles to get there (I am assuming). Great work! Glad to see your passion in this piece as a future educator. -JR

Kacie Reimer · April 15, 2021 at 7:34 pm

Hi Riley! I firstly wanted to thank you for including mental health as a disability. I don’t think people really understand what a disability really is and how it affects people. As someone who struggles daily with a few different mental illnesses, I am glad you recognized that it is included, and I believe it should be discussed or brought up more when disabilities are being taught. I love how passionate you seem to be about this topic and educating people on what is right and wrong or what is included in people with any form of disability. I really enjoyed this read. Great work!