Self-Story 3: Socioeconomic Status

All throughout my elementary and high school years I have always played sports. It was probably during grade 6 or 7 when I realized what ‘classes’ were and that my family and I were in the middle class. We did not have lots of extra money as a family, with my parents pilling bills, making sure the house was full of groceries, and also with my twin sister and I doing every school and extracurricular sport.We played volleyball, soft ball, slo-pitch, badminton, basketball, hockey, and we also were big into rodeoing and riding horses. A few kids in my grade were known as the ‘rich kids’ and got everything handed to them. My family and I didn’t care how much money we have left over once everything was paid for and for the sports, well that was worth it because that was when my sister and I were the happiest. we were also lucky enough to have the food that we did on our table. Some of the kids in my class didn’t have that opportunity.

During grade 3 and those younger grades, we were too young to care about money. we didn’t care who had the most money or nicer clothes. All we knew was were all the same and just wanted to play. Grade 6 came, and some of my friend started to talk about all that stuff. All of a sudden that is what it was all about. Which, it really sucked because the wealthy-class wouldn’t talk or hangout with the poor class. But for me, I included everyone n matter what, because it honestly doesn’t matter what class you are in for you to pick your friends. I was so thankful for everything I was given and able to do, all my sports, have horses all my life, have food on the table everyday, and most importantly I was the happiest child.

One thought on “Self-Story 3: Socioeconomic Status

1. Hi Kori,
    I really enjoy your blog post because I can relate to it. I also participated in many sports and my family did not have a ton of money either but always made it work and we were always very happy. I also agree that the rich kids left others out which is sad but it shows you who they are. However, we are who we are because we did not have everything handed to us which makes us work harder. Overall, I really enjoyed your blog post and I hope you have a good week off. Good luck with midterms!