When did screen time become a full time job?

In todays era, it is almost impossible to not be using technology. In our house hold we try not to use it too often. But of course I need my laptop for school and we love to watch TV.  I usually find myself using google/ google docs, instagram, facebook, messagener, pinterest, my kindle and snapchat. I find that some apps are towards my education and learning. I can find educational books on my kindle OR google is where I do all my work for school. Honeslty if google were to shut down I would be screwed. I love to use instagram to mindlessley scroll and I am a big texter. Now that I am on mat leave I am often talking with other moms or texting family. So I findClose up of woman holding coffee cup and using laptop I use texting and snapchat to keep in communication with the outside world and keep a little sane. I also use my down time while my daughter is napping to do phone time or computer time. I don’t want her to grow up in a world focusing on technology. I want her imagination to grow with her. There is time for technology… it isn’t when she is 7 months old.

The apps that I use to stay organized and productive are: google docs, google excel, google photos, hotmail for email. I like to have folders for everyting on my google docs. Then within each folder may be more folders and documents that are related to that over all topic. EX) Grade 4 may be the main topic, then within that folder there may be labelled folders or documents. It makes me feel like I am on top of things. I use the notes app on the desktop of the computer to add notes that help me remember due dates + class times. I also add my to do lists there. I use google calendar for dates and events as well. I am also a big notes app user on my phone. I also love to use pinterest boards to save my ideas and to have a space to leave my creativity! Here is a link to my ZOO THEME that I used to inspire me when I was teaching Pre-K.

Big distractions- Instragram reels (I actually deleted tik tok.. or tik tok would be my biggest distraction). Facebook. Snapchat. These are all apps that I mindlessly pick up and end up using time on… for what? I don’t know. I don’t have any techniques to get off my phone. I wish I did. I hate how much I am on it. I don’t mind my laptop or anyting I do on my computer– I have my school work and additional work on laptop. Then “playtime” or “communication” is on my phone. So I find that when I pick up my laptop I know its time to focus on my work… but then my phone calls my Mobile Phone prohibited. No cell phone sign. stock illustration.name… yikess.

Too be honest, if I could fix one thing about myself is how much I am on my phone. My screen time is usually under 4 hours. But I still want to cut it down. I am trying to be more mindful of why I am on my phone. Or if my daughter is awake I try and put my phone away. But it is actually so hard. I am completely additcted to it.

One thought on “When did screen time become a full time job?

1. Hi Kyla,
    Your reflections on screen time and technology use resonate with many of us in this digital age. It’s a balancing act between leveraging technology for productivity and being mindful of its potential distractions.
    It’s commendable how you’ve organized your digital life, using various apps and platforms to stay organized and productive. Your approach to categorizing and managing folders on Google Docs and utilizing apps like Google Calendar and the Notes app demonstrates your commitment to staying on top of things.
    Identifying your biggest distractions, like Instagram and Facebook, is a crucial step in gaining control over your screen time. While it’s challenging to break away from these habits, your awareness and desire to cut down on phone use are important first steps.
    Finding strategies to limit phone usage, especially when your daughter is awake, is admirable. It’s essential to prioritize real-life interactions and be present, especially during these precious moments with family.
    Remember, change takes time, and with determination and small adjustments, you can gradually decrease your phone addiction and reclaim more balance in your daily life.