Sound Trap your next assignments

Sound Trap your next assignments

Okay- So I was super excited about this blog post this week as I am always looking for new tools to use in the classroom that are going to support student learning + how they can express their learning. I have personally always wanted to learn how to make podcasts and incorporate podcasts as an assignment tool. So what better time than now to look into it.

I did some digging around the internet for some different podcast making tools– I came across a few, I was going to use spotify or podbean. I also really looked into Audactiy. But they weren’t as user friendly for the audiance I am thinking of using them with. So I went with Soundtrap. It is also simple and super user friendly. One fault of Soundtrap is that you do have to pay a subscription… but I am thinking that I could ask the principal to work with me on something like this OR I could find another tool similar. I just really liked this one so I went with the free 30 day version. Another thing about this app that is really interesting and user friendly for teachers is that we can create an assignment and assign it to the whole class. I think this would be so fun to share with students. Has anyone ever used something like this? If so, how did it go? Was it beneficial to the curriculum teachings? ( I had a coworker use a podcasting tool before and the older students thought it was daunting… So I would want to create a space for younger students to use this tool)

Step one: Adding sound and music to your audio recording.

How to delete a track

How to edit your track + why I think this is so good to have in the classroom

Implementing podcasting tools into your classroom

• Assignment responses
  • Refleciton pieces
  • Journalling
  • I would use this for students who aren’t as strong of writers.
  • Use it as a tool to communicate to parents

The possibilitie are endless. But I think it would be super fun to use for a journalling platform rather than having students write out each response.

Redefention= The students set up a podcast (with or without peers or groups) They then use the podcasting format to complete a whole project or unit study. They then share it with other classmates and listen to different podcasts.

Modification= Using the podcast tool in a group for an assignment instead of them having to write something out they talk about it and use the audacity tool

Augmentation= The teacher uses the tool to communicate news and information to the parents!

Substitution= Using the soundtrap tool instead of using a journal or typing journal.

5 thoughts on “Sound Trap your next assignments

1. Hi Kyla!
    I didn’t realize how many different podcasting tools there are! I am glad you included some other apps and websites you looked into trying. What made you decide to use Soundtrap?

The videos you made helped me to understand how to use Soundtrap! I also love the ways you thought of implementing this resource into the classroom. I never would have thought to use a Podcast as a way to communicate with parents, but it seems like an amazing idea!
    Thanks for your post!

2. Hi Kyla,
    Thanks for sharing Soundtrap with us. During the pandemic, I started a podcast for moms called Joy in Your Circus. I loved podcasting and interviewing guests each week. I will have to check out this tool, as I’ve never explored it before. Thanks for the very user-friendly tutorial videos.

3. Hi Kyla,
    I love SoundTrap! This resource was often used in my music classes in high school. I had forgotten about it until I read your post, so I am excited to explore it again. As you had mentioned, it requires a subscription and could potentially be purchased by a school for its students. I think this is very possible, as I believe this is what my school did. I agree that this resource could be used for a variety of things and is very user friendly. Thank you for reminding me of this wonderful tool!

4. This reminds me of a software called Audacity! I used it all the time when I was in the CTech Program in the UofR. It is basically the same thing as Sound Trap, but more for advanced. It seems Sound Trap is user-friendly and easy to navigate through, so I will definitely check this one out!

5. Hi Kyla! Your blog looks amazing so far! Great work on all of your posts. I wish you good luck with your sewing journey!! Keep up the great posts. I look forward to reading more!!