Tackling the Tangled Threads

Tackling the Tangled Threads

I actually thought I had this sewing thing figured out, I really did. I was playing with materials by fixing up some different clothing items. I had these dress pants that had a hole in them forever but I never put time in to fix them. So here was the perfect oppurtunity to do so!

Where I started… hole in my pants!

I fixed these pants no problem. Then I grabbed a pair of my partners work pants that I needed to fix. They were a much thicker material than the dress pants. I

Fixed dress pants

started playing around with the pants and I had some trouble with laying the pants down flat enough to sew but I didn’t think that would be a big deal. So I started and this is where everything went wrong…

I completely jammed the machine. There was thread everywhere and the machine was making a horrible grinding noise. I wish I took a picture of this, but honeslty I was in such panic mode that I couldn’t even think straight. I AM INVESTED now…

I only have so much time to work on sewing while my daughter takes her naps, so for the whole week I have been working on playing with materials THEN the last 2 days I have been trying to fix the jammed machine.

I am so grateful that there are so many resources online that could help me with my mishap! So I first started franticly googling “Why is my sewing machine making a grinding noise?” Which is then where where I found all these resources. I first started by reading this troubleshooting document.It was a great start because it gave different things that could be wrong with the machine.

The culprit that jammed the sewing machine 🙁

I then went through process of elimination… I reset up the Bobbin and re-thread the needle. Tried the sewing machine again and it continued to jam and not work.

Then I realized that the problem is infact the needle is now bent. SO, I need to get a new needle. I know this is all my fault too because the material was too thick and I didn’t change the settings appropriately for the material. But now I know. So, I will be getting a new needle in the city tomorrow. Next week I will focus on fixing the sewing machine + sew some not so thick materials. LOL

Wish me luck 🙂

3 thoughts on “Tackling the Tangled Threads

1. Hello Kyla,

Your determination tackling the tangled threads is admirable! Even though it sounds like you’ve been on quite the sewing adventure! It’s impressive how you’re making the most of your daughter’s nap time for your creative projects. Dealing with a jammed machine can be frustrating, but it’s fantastic that you found helpful resources online to troubleshoot the issue. Keep up the great work!

2. Hello Kyla,
    I enjoyed reading about your progress with sewing, it looks like you did a good job with fixing your dress pants. I once tried to sew a pair of jeans with my sewing machine, and I experienced the same thing you are going through. My needle did not bend though, it just broke right in half! I was told that I should be using a special thicker/heavier needle for sewing jean material. I never did go and buy a thicker needle to try again, I did not want to experience jamming my machine again if I did not do it right. So, I have stuck to familiar easier materials ever since. I look forward to seeing more of your projects in the coming weeks.

1. I also found out that there are special needles for jeans… the hard way LOL. I bought one of those today AND universal ones for a replacement… Oh boy.