Code Monkeying Around

Code Monkeying Around

I chose to do “Code Monkey”! What a fun little code game. I attached a video of my experience. I want to note that I didn’t do any work on the “Code Monkey” before I started recording. I wanted to get a raw recording of me trying it for the first time. All I did was get super frustrated that when I typed in ____ amount of steps the monkey would hardly move. Like 20 steps and the Monkey moved .5 of a centimetre… okay. UGH lol.

Code Monkey Adventure 🐒 – Watch Video

What I learned… Be patient. It doesn’t come naturally to most of us. I found that as soon as I turned to the page I started getting rammy with buttons before reading the instructions. Then when I found the instructions obviously it all began to make sense for me. Without the instructions I would have given up and went to a different tool. This is just how I work though, when I am not great at something first try I quit.

Personally, I don’t like coding… It is something I am not comfortable in. I know it is super cool and super interesting. I just don’t have an interest in it. Hence why I am not good at it. I think if I were to practice it more and gain confidence in it I would become more comfortable in the coding world. I think it is a great tool for students though, they can do so many things when given the oppurtunity. It also might bring students of different interest to show their strong side in something. Which I think is fabulous. I always lovedBusy African web developer coding computer language while sitting at table and typing on keypad, focus on desktop monitor with web code watching the little coding mouse when students use them, or other coding websites. I know our technology rep brought a game to each class to show them how to code. It was similar to the cat we played around with on Mondays class… but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called. But the students of all ages loved the activity.

I think that coding is incredibly important not just in education/schools but in our everyday life. Without coding I couldn’t be doing any of these classes right now. I couldn’t watch TV. I couldn’t allow students to use technology in the classroom. None of it. WE NEED CODING. Not just a want anymore, we as a society don’t function without coding.

4 thoughts on “Code Monkeying Around

1. I definitely agreed about learning to be patient when coding! I, too, needed some time to get used to how everything worked, and in the end, I finally figured everything out! With that said, I also agree that coding is not for everybody. I tried Python in high school and HTML in a university class, but I had a difficult time in both!

2. Thanks for sharing your experience with coding this week. It is a skill I am not very experienced with either. I would need to spend much more time to feel even remotely confident in my skills. I think we all have our areas of strength, and this might not be mine, haha. I attempted to do a Minecraft coding activity for my blog post this week, and let’s just say it was humbling, and I may have yelled at the screen a few times.

3. I love the title of your post, very creative! It drew me right into the post. I understand exactly what you mean by giving up when you don’t immediately get something. I am the same way, not super patient when learning new skills. And coding is definitely tricky, I think it’s safe to say a few of us had some frustrating moments with trying to code in the last couple of days haha!

4. Hey Kyla,
    I loved the video you shared to go along with your post! The video gave a great insight from where you are writing from! I loved that you shared your experience with us and made it very relatable for the reader. I could not agree more and also believe coding is very important and wish I was taught about it more in school.