Sewing a Fathers Day Gift

Sewing a Fathers Day Gift

When I started this project at the beginning of the semester my end goal was going to be something similar to this sweater. I have always wanted to be able to create something sentimental and I finally had the chance to do so. Before starting the fathers day gift for my fiance I wanted to do a practice run on a sweater… and thank goodness I did. Wow. Here is a picture presentation on my gift idea trial run. I go through the steps and what happened. I found out it is going to be way harder than I thought it was going to be.

Onto the final piece…

I started by looking through some different ideas of how I was going to go about this after my first trial. I copied this video to get the first steps of cutting the letters out and what my design was going to be. I wanted bigger letters though. So I found out that I needed thicker letters + some tools on how to cut the fabric better so it was straight and accurate.

I then went into tik tok, there were so many different ways to go about this. I found a video that recommended cutting the letters out using a fabric stabalizer to create solid letters. Which I found worked fabulous for the project I was doing. It helped me be able to sew the letters to the sweater easier without them jumping a bunch.

If this were a step by step process it looked like:

1. Print letters/ cut out and find placement of letters on sweater to fit
  2. Trace letters on stabalizer + cut out stabalizer
  3. Trace stabalizer to the baby clothing fabric
  4. Place stabalizer fabric and clothing fabric back to back
  5. Trace letters again onto stabalizer fabric
  6. Sew materials into letter shape BUT inside out (I made a mistake the first time not going inside out… and well, it sucked)
  7. Sew letters and cut remaining fabric off.
  8. Sew letters to sweater
  9. Cut off remaining edges and strings
  10. Sew different type of stiching around the outside to clean up the look.

Where I started

Cut out letters + cut out fabric stabalizer.

Put the letters on the sweater to see what it looks like.

Letters sewn on

Final project + the edges cleaned up.

One super cool thing about tik tok is if you up load 10 videos it creates its own video! Super fun.

Here is the completed project! I am honestly so proud of my work. It took me a couple weeks from the practice project to the completion of the final project. I am glad that I stuck to my goals. I didn’t think I would be able to get this far. I mean, it is in no way perfect and there are some rough edges… but I am happy it turned out like it did. I showed my sisters and they now want me to make them auntie sweaters. LOL

My Fiance wearing the sweater after it has been completed.

4 thoughts on “Sewing a Fathers Day Gift

1. It takes motivation and dedication to create a sentimental gift like this! Awesome work!

2. Hi Kyla!

This is so inspiring! It’s clear that you put a lot of effort into perfecting your technique, and the final result turned out amazing. I am sure your dad was so happy to receive such a meaningful gift! Thanks for sharing a TikTok video and great job on creating something special! 🙂

3. Hi, Kyla! This was a really thoughtful idea for your learning project. I’m glad it turned out well!