Tools For Future Me

Tools For Future Me

I chose the AI tool Duolingo. I chose this tool because recently in our school we have had many immigrant students join us. They are very limited in speaking English. This was a huge struggle for them… and honeslty the teachers too. We had one teacher that spoke Spanish. Which was great for those families… but we had numerous other families that spoke other languages as well. Also, it wasn’t that teachers job to help all of the other classrooms.

I think that this tool would be great to share as a class. Maybe at the beginning of the year the class could pick a language that they would all like to learn. This could be a language that their peers speaks OR could be one that the class is interested in. Each week the I could throw up the lessons and we could go through it as a class. I think it would be so fun and an engaging little morning meeting idea! OR could also be a task that everyone is able to do on their own as well if we wanted to divide the task up amongst everyone. I think this would be a great way to engage students because they all have the chance to engage with the tool and the new languages.

I like that this tool also goes through the excersises step by step and if you accidentally make a mistake it will go over them again. To pass the level it wants you to get 5 hearts, I think that this would bring some competitive edge to the class as well. Students love competition. I could also make a goal as a teacher that say… each month the students need to earn 30 hearts or pass 5 levels (i don’t know for sure, it would 100% depend on the class) to get a movie at lunch or something (bonus points if the movie has the language we are learning subtitles)

example of the missions

example of a lesson

I like the set up of this app too. Each level needs to be accomplished. I think kids would love the layout! I think it would support different learning styles because its visual. Interactive. Words. Movement of tools + words. Numerous different ways the questions are asked. Voice overs. So many different varients to the website. There are many ways that thisMobile dictionary, translator and e-learning.concept . Learning languages online. Smartphone and books with language courses. would encourage critical thinking and creativity. I believe the students could learn differnet languages + use these new skills in different assignments. It is very fluid amongst subjects and plans.

There wouldn’t be many challenges as I wouldn’t believe that there would be much pressure around this. It is more of an added skill towards students. rather than the pressure of HAVING to learn it. I think because it is a game the students would love the challenge. I also believe that because it is done in large group the teacher would be able to show their support plus make mistakes as a class. I also think that it takes the pressure off the students. But there would be a chance to do it individually or in a smaller group depending on the age level.

I have taught classrooms + been an SST teacher. I think that AI is important as it is the new way of learning and teaching. I don’t think we should limit it. My only concern is that some students are using tools like chat GPT to complete assignments… that is where some struggle of teaching and students learning comes into the picture.

7 thoughts on “Tools For Future Me

1. Hi Kyla,
    Your idea of using Duolingo in the classroom is innovative and thoughtful! It’s a great way to foster inclusivity and curiosity about different cultures. The competitive aspect of earning hearts could indeed motivate students. Your idea of rewarding them with a movie (with subtitles in the language they’re learning) is a fantastic way to make learning fun and relevant. Keep up the great work!

2. Hi Kyla,
    I have never considered using Duolingo in the classroom before, but it is a fantastic idea! I use the app every day for my own language learning, but I have never thought to incorporate it into lessons. I think using Duolingo would make learning a language fun, especially given the wide variety of languages available. Incorporating it into morning meetings is a great idea!

3. Hi Kyla,
    I have loved Duolingo (except for how many emails it sends me) since my kids started using it, HAHA. We have been using it for about a year on our kids’ tablets, and they seem to really enjoy it. My kids were using it for learning to read skills but I actually used it to attempt to learn Spanish before a Mexico trip…I should really continue those lessons. I can see how this would be a beneficial tool to use with your students.

4. Hi Kyla!
    Using Duolingo in your classroom is a great idea! It’s thoughtful of you to consider students who are immigrants and struggling with language skills. I’ve learned a second language myself, so I understand how challenging it can be. Another app you might want to check out is Memrise. I used it for my own learning project and found it to be a better fit for me compared to Duolingo. It’s a good alternative that some of your students might prefer. It’s always good to have options 🙂 Thanks for sharing your ideas!

1. MARIIA, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughtful notes about Memrise. I definitley will check it out 🙂