Threads to Keepsakes: My Sewing Tale and Reflections

Sewing 101:

Well, my sewing journey was a success. It was wild, Difficult, Frustrating, Enjoyable, Mindless, Rewarding and timeless. I found that this was one of the coolest things I have ever been able to do for myself. I have this class to thank for that.

This whole process went from me stepping into the world of sewing not having a single clue what I was doing. I started by setting up the machine. Sewing various materials together. Fixing torn materials (ie my fiances pants). Making a pot holder. Then finally taking the last two weeks to work on a fathers day gift for my Fiance. I also was able to learn some new tik tok tricks along the way 🙂

I had so much fun diving into this journey. It was so fun to process that I would have never done otherwise. I honestly was very nervous to start this project. I think that looking back I probaly could have picked up something harder to do at the beginning. But I am also grateful that I was able to take it slow. I like that I was able to use all platforms for research that I am already on. Such as pinterest, instagram, tik tok, google and Youtube. It helped me feel confident learning the new skill of sewing. Maybe not so confident in doing the skill but learning the skill for sure.

What I learned in this journey:

1. If you want to learn something new, I bet you can find 87 videos, 23 blogs and a whole lot of tik tok videos on what you want to learn. The internet is an endless resource.
  2. Be patient. WOAH. Did this come with a smack in the face. I am not really a patient person to begin with. I get frustrated easily when I am not good at something right away. This I knew. But when it came to finding videos and internet sources, I found myself looking for the fastest way to learn a new sewing skill. Which trust me… the internet had it.
  3. If you make a mistake you will survive. WELL, uh… this is hard for me. It really is. I had trouble with not being perfect at sewing right away. I just thought I would be able to pick up sewing and be so good at it right away. With any other crafting thing, it did not come naturally to me. Shocker!!! BUT the best part about learning through the internet is that if you made a mistake, I can guarantee that 92 other people made that same mistake and probably made a Youtube video about the fix. I found myself googling “How to fix _____ in a Janome sewing machine” lots… OR “How do I do _____ on my sewing machine”
  4. Its okay to slow down and do something you enjoy. I find it really hard, espeically as a new mom, to take time for myself. I found that this project gave me time to slow down and really focus on something else that wasn’t the hustle and bustle of the world. I usually worked on my sewing projects while Emmy was sleeping. So this gave me a chance to get off my phone, step away from school work, ignore chores and just focus on something that didn’t take too much brain power. I call it mindless work. It was so good for me.
  5. Technology plays a huge role in our lives. Honestly, technology has taken over a majority of the way that I move and think. Sometimes I wish I could get rid of my curated feeds by tossing my phone in the water and never going back. Other times I know as a mom on maternity leave that it is my life line. I know that without technology I wouldn’t have been able to get this certificate completed. I know there are so many reasons for it to stay… but so many reasons for it to go. But here it stays.
  6. I am proud of myself. Honeslty, I never thought I would be able to do something like this. I thought I was going to get annoyed and switch half way through. But I stuck through and continued on. I wanted so badly to be able to accomplish this. I did. Its so funny, I made the sweater for fathers day and my sisters now want something similar. Back to the drawing board!

Cheers to learning something new things using the internet. Thank you EDTC 300 for the journey, I am so grateful 🙂