My Teaching Philosophy

My Teaching Philosophy

My teaching philosophy is… creating a safe space for children to be themselves. Learning comes more naturally when you can be who you want to be in a safe environment. My goal is to create relationships with every student- they may not all like me… and I may not like all of them. But to have one connection with each student I teach goes a long way.

My goal is to teach every student skills that they are going to be able to use everyday in their life. I want to see students leave my classroom with life long resources in their tool kit.

I believe that ever action has a natural consequence. Good or bad. If a student were to throw paper and pencils across the room, when they are regulated they are to clean up their mess and understand why they clean it up. If you remind someone to tie their shoes, the next time your shoe is untied someone else will help you out. The world has a funny way of working that out.

My style of teaching is….

• Openness
  • relationship building
  • Calm
  • I expect respect the same way I give respect
  • Talk through the problem
  • Consequences to their actions
  • Different ways of teaching/ different ways of learning (Videos, presentations, guest speakers, hands on work, manipulatives, work sheets, using technology etc)
  • Regulation
  • Brain breaks
  • Manipulative
  • Being weird and silly
  • Make mistakes, always
  • Its okay to not be okay
  • Safe