November 26th Lesson Plan

The students in Mrs. Trithart’s grade 3 class have been studying Indigenous history in Canada with a focus on Treaty Four and a brief overview of Residential schools. Around the time of Remembrance Day, the students looked at the concept of peace and what it meant to them. My partner Ms. Steele and I decided to combine these two areas of study in a short lesson. The library provided us with a non-fiction book Poundmarker: Peace Chief by Joanne Stanbridge. This piece had a brief grade level history of Poundmaker, the Cree Chief who was a notable peacemaker and defender of the Cree people during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. Stanbridge had broken the chapters into one-page excerpts including sidebars and images that related to the content of the book. We chose a few chapters that related best to the concept of peace, treaties and Indigenous history. Before reading, the students had a refresher on what treaties and reserves were; and if they thought that the treaties were fair to Indigenous people in Canada. I read the excerpts from the book to the students highlighting key areas that students had already reviewed. Once we had read the book, we listed a number of key concepts brought forth in the book. Standbridge’s book concluded with three questions for classroom discussion on the back page. As a class, we listed what peace meant to us and how we can help maintain peace in our community. The students had rapid-fire responses, barely giving me enough time to jot down their answers on the whiteboard. At the beginning of the school year there was no way I would have been comfortable teaching a lesson to 27 grade 3 students. I have a lot of growth to do of course, but standing in front of the class was not nearly as frightful as I thought it would be. At that moment, I realized that teaching is the right path, as my fears and anxieties melted away. I have a lot to learn and I am excited to continue to do so.