How ECS 100 Added to My Knowledge of Inclusive Education

Inclusive education has always been an interest of mine and is one of the main reasons I have chosen to minor in it. The U of R has allowed me to follow this passion and supplies me with tools to incorporate into my inclusive classroom. Before, when I pictured inclusion, I strictly saw an image of children with varying abilities working in a classroom together. This idea has drastically changed for the better. My knowledge of inclusion stretches past the single idea of students with cognitive and physical exceptionalities experiencing the same teaching experience as their fellow students. This is a huge part of inclusive education, but the model in my mind left out other students who do not fit the “norm”. Inclusive education stretches into the realm of diversity, equality and how we are all unique. This semester one of my classes studied diversity and difference in the classroom and how we as educators can teach this. The methods presented in Inclusion of Exceptional Learners in Canadian Schools: a practical handbook for teachers are ones I would very much like to model my own teaching after. It is all about finding the right fit for our students through modifications and accommodations. Much of this textbook focused on methods of teaching students with exceptionalities, mostly those who require assistance due to cognitive or physical delays. I appreciated that Educational Foundations in Canada delves deeper into the concepts of diversity in the classroom and multiculturalism something I neglected to consider when inclusion came to mind. Both of these textbooks will help guide me through my journey which has just begun. Lastly, I have completely scrapped the word disability from my vocabulary, instead adopting the term exceptionality. I feel this term has a much deeper meaning, instead of saying someone is missing an ability they have a different method of completing a task. We should move away from negative views and approach them with a positive spin. Without the knowledge of these concepts I can say I would be stuck with the same assumptions as before.