Weekly Reading Assignment

Numeracy and Literacy

The readings/videos that I viewed this week are:

Numeracy!

Mathematics is typically considered concrete and to the point. It can be right or wrong and there is no in between. Math is so static and concrete in Eurocentric mathematics that we have theories and formulas to solve and prove math problems without using a single number. However, this static idea of math is challenged by Inuit mathematical techniques which opens a whole new world of math.

After reading the assigned articles this week I identified some key differences between Eurocentric mathematics and Inuit mathematics:

Eurocentric Mathematics:

• Linear, static, and concrete
  • Scientific methods
  • Abstract (proofs)
  • Important simply because we should all know it

Inuit Mathematics:

• Subjective and fluid
  • Intuitive
  • Includes context
  • Important simply because it will benefit people

Pieces of MAB BlocksTo summarize, Eurocentric math is based on concrete scientific ideas to solve problems that is often taught by presenting steps to a students and asking them to memorize then perform on a test. Inuit math is much more intuitive and includes context such as singular, double, or multiple versions of numbers. Plus I cannot forget to mention the obvious difference between the two math styles is the use of base 10 and base 20.

Literacy!

“Single stories” are the idea that if you continuously hear stories about a culture, group, or even a movie from one lens perspective then you are only going to get one side and will mis so much from another lens. This is very common in schools and has a very negative response. Teaching from one lens will develop biases and ignorance because there is always multiple sides to a story and you cannot fairly create an opinion based on a “single story”.

My schooling experience was developed through a eurocentric viewpoint and many cultures and ideas were left out of my education because I was only given a “single story”. This is unfortunate because it is important to learn from many lens perspectives because everyones truth matters.

Currently, I unfortunately think I bring some biased lenses to the table due to my lack of knowledge of other perspective and lenses. After reflection I realize this is a problem and I need to open my world and entertain other lenses so I can be a better teacher. Moving forward in the future I am going to bring multiple stories to my classroom. First, I will need to take the time to learn and listen to other perspectives. I am an aspiring high school math teacher and I have learned a lot through the assignments I have done throughout this term. I learned about the importance of incorporating a students interests and culture into a math classroom. I will continue to learn about new perspectives so I can unlearn the lenses I have already learned.

• Ashley Wilkinson

WOW. What a great post about numeracy and literacy! I love the ending where you talked about your own bias and how you will change going forward. It can be hard to unlearn our biases. What’s important is that we are self-aware and that we are making an effort to change them. Great post!