Reflective Article: Embracing Feedback for Better Outcomes

It was a gratifying pleasure to receive thorough and insightful comments on the first orientation lesson on Canadian cultural norms and values. The insightful feedback has given me a clear route forward for improving the instructional strategy, especially as I anticipate creating the second module. In response to the criticism, this reflection piece outlines intentions for improvement and takes into consideration the class conversation on equity and accessibility in the course structure.

Taking Feedback into Practice

Language Proficiency and Digital Literacy: The feedback made clear that participants were assumed to have a minimum degree of digital literacy and access to the English language. To accommodate students with different levels of English competence, the plan is to incorporate language help tools and glossaries into the next module. We also want to provide low-tech, alternative options for course involvement, like downloadable materials and audio versions of information, in light of the digital divide.

Module Revisions: It is encouraging to see how well the module’s interaction and engagement techniques are received. Explanatory comments will be given for every quiz question according to the recommendation that quiz responses improve comprehension and promote deeper learning. An evaluation of the multimedia content in various browsers is necessary in light of the accessibility issue with the “Canada Customs & Culture” movie. This will help to ensure that all resources are available to all users.

Introduction and Interaction Enhancements: As mentioned, adding a welcome video will further enhance the introduction’s efficacy in creating a community of learners. By adding a personal touch, I want to reduce anxiety and create a friendly environment right away. In response to the suggestion to make the course structure clearer, I will clearly state that the course is hybrid, combining online self-paced learning with optional in-person sessions to meet the needs of a wide range of learners.

Reflecting on Accessibility and Equity

The conversation on equity and accessibility was crucial, and it led to a careful analysis of how the course stacks up in these areas. Accessibility includes comprehension and participation in addition to physical and digital access. I understand that by following web accessibility guidelines—which include offering text alternatives for non-text information and making sure navigation is compatible with assistive technologies—I can make the course more accessible for students with disabilities.

Recognising and adjusting to our students’ diverse educational experiences, cultural backgrounds, and access to technology are all part of equity considerations. In the future, I’ll look to collaborate with neighbourhood libraries and community centres to provide individuals who don’t have access to computers and the internet at home with actual locations that have these amenities. I am also looking into working with language instructors to provide additional language help that is specific to the material covered in our courses.

Summarily, the comments received serve as both a guide for future development and evidence of the effectiveness of the orientation programme. It emphasises how crucial it is to be adaptable, inclusive, and accessible when creating learning environments that appeal to a wide range of learners. These guidelines will direct efforts to establish an equitable learning environment that respects and attends to the different needs of learners as I improve the modules that are currently available and develop new ones. My unwavering dedication to improving cross-cultural understanding among recent immigrants to Canada is based on ongoing introspection and adaptation to ensure that the course is not only educational but also inclusive and accessible to all.

Posted by Olajide Abijo

Welcome to my blog!

I'm Olajide Abijo, and my educational background includes a degree in Linguistics (B.A.) and a master's in Educational Leadership. Currently enrolled in the Adult Education and Human Resources Development program (MEd), I bring a wealth of teaching experience across diverse cultures and age groups, ranging from kindergarten to 80-year-olds 😊.

My focus lies in exploring the effective application of online and blended learning in adult education, particularly within work contexts. Having lived and taught in Nigeria, the United Arab Emirates, and Japan, my experiences in different contexts have greatly influenced my perspectives and interactions with learners and local communities.

While my interest in teaching waned due to unnecessary systematic pressures, I aim to leverage my knowledge, experience, and skills within the industry. Although I harbor an interest in postgraduate teaching opportunities, I am not inclined towards writing publications at this time, but NEVER say NEVER!