Learning Canva: A Gateway to Creativity

Learning, unlearning, and relearning

I have always fancied beautiful designs on cards I see on the Internet and threw my hats off to the brilliant minds behind them.

Graphic designs are like a perfect summer vacation in the Maldives: blue water, blue skies, yellow sun, beach sand, a symphony of contrasting colours, text, and amazing pictures.

So, I started my flex on designs using Canva.
Canva is an online graphic design tool used to create social media posts,

presentations, logos, and videos.

With over 250, 000 free templates and 610,000 paid templates, Canva offers you vast opportunities to try out different unique designs.

It is easy because all you have to do as a beginner is edit a template, add your flair, and

loading slideshow...

voilà, you have a pretty design.

You could also use it to prepare PowerPoints for classroom work.

Here is a PowerPoint presentation from Canva. I didn’t alter so much because I love the colours, fonts, and questions.

How I created my first Canva design.

I tried it out with my mobile phone, and the results were quite amazing. Here are the simple steps I followed:

I opened the Canva app.

Type in ‘educational’ in the template

search bar.

I searched and selected the template that best suited my idea; it was quite difficult because there were a lot of stunning templates. I finally settled on this template by education creator Jhudie Anne Learning Corner.

Then I decided to tweak the design a little to suit what I wanted.

To change an image or background all you need to do is select ‘Replace’ on the taskbar and it gives you options to select from your gallery or Canva gallery.

I chose an image from Canva’s gallery that best suits my design.

Then I changed the brown background colour to the little girl’s dress colour. Canva provides colour options for your image.

Next, it was time to change the text. I did that simply by highlighting the text I wanted to change: ‘Welcome Students’ and ‘Brocelle National High School’, and then I clicked on the ‘pencil icon’ and changed

my text.

And here is my final project (drum rolls)

Yeeey, I am so loving my Canva journey. I know it might get a little more tasking as I learn, and I am willing to sail through the storms, not to become a world-class graphic designer but a teacher with proficient graphic design skills that I can use in the classroom.
Hope you enjoyed my process as much as I did

To learn how to use Canva from scratch as a beginner, click on the link below.

5 thoughts on “Learning Canva: A Gateway to Creativity

1. Hello Sandra,

I totally relate with how you feel about Canva. Seeing those stunning card designs always blows me away too. Canva sounds like a dream for unleashing creativity, with all those templates to play around with. It’s like having a whole toolbox for making eye-catching graphics. Thanks for sharing your experience with it and I hope you continue to have a blast with your Canva journey!

• Thank you for your enthusiastic response! I’m glad you share the same excitement about Canva. It truly is a versatile platform that empowers users to create eye-catching designs effortlessly.

2. Hello Sandra!
    I absolutely loved reading about your Canva journey! As a Canva lover, i can totally relate to the excitement of exploring all the amazing templates and design possibilities. It is incredible how user-friendly Canva is, making it easy for anyone to create stunning pieces of work, even on a mobile phone. Your step-by-step process was really helpful, especially the tips on tweaking templates to match your vision!

• Thank you for your kind words! I’m thrilled that you enjoyed reading about my Canva journey.Canva truly is a fantastic tool for unleashing creativity, and I’m glad you share the same enthusiasm!

When it comes to design, the possibilities are endless, and Canva makes it accessible to everyone. Whether you’re creating social media graphics, presentations, or even print materials, Canva’s intuitive interface and vast library of templates make the process enjoyable.

3. Hi Sandra,
    I enjoyed reading your post today. I am still new to Canva and I hope I hope I will enjoy it as much as you do someday. Also, Thanks for sharing the Youtube video.Its going to be useful for a beginner like me.