Coding in the Classroom

Coding in Education

This past week’s presentation flew waaaaaay over my head! Coding is a new concept to me, and I have not seen it or used it in the classroom in any way, shape, or form. Thankfully, our classmates did an incredible job of explaining its origins, and some of the unique ways it can be incorporated into schools to build creativity, promote problem-solving skills, and empower students to better understand our digital world.

Of course, coding in the classroom can be an overwhelming process for many teachers, so there are several strategies for teachers to get started:

1. Make it Fun: Integrate coding into fun and engaging activities, such as creating animations, storytelling projects, or simple games.
  2. Encourage Collaboration: Foster collaboration and teamwork by having students work together on coding projects or challenges. This includes working together with your students to learn about how coding can be used in the classroom. Students can be the teachers!
  3. Provide Support: Offer guidance, encouragement, and support to students as they learn and experiment with coding concepts.

More specifically, our presenters took us through the world of makerspaces, again something I had not heard of before. Makerspaces offer a range of benefits for students, educators, and schools, contributing to a more engaging and dynamic learning environment. Here are some of the key benefits of having a makerspace in an educational setting. As mentioned in the article, there are many skills that makerspaces can provide for students:

1. Promoting Innovation: Makerspaces encourage students to innovate and think creatively. By providing hands-on experiences and tools, students can explore new ideas, experiment with different solutions, and develop innovative projects.
  2. Real-World Applications: Students can apply classroom concepts to real-world scenarios within makerspaces. This practical application helps deepen their understanding of theoretical concepts and fosters problem-solving skills.
  3. Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving: Engaging in hands-on projects in makerspaces helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They learn to analyze challenges, think creatively, and develop effective solutions.
  4. 21st Century Skills: Makerspaces foster the development of 21st century skills such as collaboration, communication, adaptability, technology literacy, and leadership. These skills are essential for success in today’s rapidly changing world.
  5. Community Building: Makerspaces often promote a sense of community and collaboration among students, educators, and even external experts or mentors. This collaborative environment enhances learning and fosters a supportive community of learners.

Overall, makerspaces provide a dynamic learning ecosystem that nurtures creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, and innovation, preparing students for success in an ever-evolving world.

DOES CODING BENEFIT ALL STUDENTS?

Based on the information gathered and through the research and presentation, I would argue that most students would benefit from coding. The students who may benefit the most include: those that are tech savvy, students that have interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math), and visual learners. I can see this is something that would have benefited me back in the day, as it would have prepared me in a better way for the current tech savvy students that I am often working with.

On the other hand, there are students who might face challenges with coding in the classroom:

Non-Tech-Savvy Students: Students who are less comfortable or familiar with technology may initially find coding challenging. However, with proper guidance and support, they can still benefit significantly from learning coding skills.

Students with Learning Differences: Students with learning differences or disabilities may require additional accommodations or personalized approaches to ensure they can participate and benefit from coding activities.

Lack of Interest: Some students may simply lack interest in coding or technology-related activities. Educators can explore ways to make coding more engaging and relevant to these students’ interests and goals.

At the end of the day, like in all situations, it is important to take an inclusive approach to providing coding opportunities for students. All students deserve the opportunity to learn new and efficient ways to build skills for their future. Although students will learn at different paces, it is important to challenge those that have a higher skill level in coding while also providing foundational support to those that may require extra time or understanding. Over time, like in all circumstances, students will gain the skills and knowledge that will benefit them in their technologically filled future.

2 thoughts on “Coding in the Classroom”

1. Hi Michael,
    A few years ago, I used coding with my students. I can say that, for the most part, it was very fun, but as you mentioned, sometimes coding may present challenges for some students, especially for some with learning differences or for those who are not tech-savvy. Something that I didn’t know about coding, though, is the many ways it can benefit our students and adults as well. The presenters did mention the benefits, but when I was trying to find some more information for myself, I discovered a few blogs that explain how coding can develop skills that can improve students’ learning and habits in various areas, such as focusing and organization or their creativity. I think coding is an important part of teaching and learning and should be integrated, if not daily, at least as often as possible due to the many benefits it offers.

2. This concept of coding was also new to me. I like the tips that you explained about for teachers to start using coding and the benefits of makerspaces are easy to understand and helpful. I appreciate how you addressed the challenges students might face and emphasized the importance of inclusive learning for everyone.