Self Story #1: The Olympic Games in the Classroom

January 18, 2021 1 By Tadyn Martinook

It was another freezing day in February, and the bell had just rung to go inside from recess. My friends and I went running towards the door to wait in line. I could nearly feel my toes and fingers freezing off at this point. I thought to myself it was good thing I listened to my mom and wore my ski pants that today. The outside supervisor final told us that we could go inside. We were always the last ones to go inside since we were in grade six and the oldest. I went running to my locker with the rest of my classmates. The clanging and thumping of lockers filled the hallways as I threw my boots and jacket in my locker and put on my indoor shoes. The floors were all wet and slippery from the snow, it made my shoes squeak as I almost fell flat on my face.

The classroom was filled with chatter of us talking about the 2014 Winter Olympic games. I wondered if our begging before recess had convinced our teacher to let us watch our Saskatchewan figure skating pairs team preform. “Does anyone know where our teacher is?” one of my friends asked. I looked up at the clock ticking away. It had been at least five minutes since we came in from recess and there was no sign of her anywhere. All of a sudden, I could hear a rumbling sound coming from down the hall. “Shh! Guys do you hear that?” I asked my classmates. The class went dead silent, all that you hear was the rumbling of a cart and the ticking of the clock. It was our teacher pulling a cart, and as she turned it to come into the classroom the wheels squeaked causing me to cover my ears. It was the TV cart! I could feel my excitement rising this meant one of two things. Either we were getting to watch a movie, or we had convinced her to let us watch the Olympics. “Alright you guys convinced me!” Miss. S told us. The classroom filled with shouts of excitement. “If you all promise me that you’ll continue to work silently we can watch the games in the background for the rest of the week. Deal?” she stated. “Deal” I yelled back with joy. 

The old TV buzzed to life as Miss. S clicked the power button, and she hooked it up to her computer. The sound of papers scuffling filled the classroom as we hurried to get our things to work on because we did not want this taken away from us. Just two more pairs teams to go until the Saskatchewan pair skated. She got the TV hooked up just in time and we worked away. The next thing I hear is the announcer introducing the Saskatchewan team. All of our pencils dropped, and chairs screeched as we all turned them towards the TV. Not a single one of us continued to work because not one of us wanted to miss the performance. The only sound that remained in the classroom was the ticking of the clock and the music from their routine.