A Christmas Gift Exchange

March 5, 2021 1 By Tadyn Martinook

It was 4:00, I had just gotten picked up from the last day of school before Christmas break and we had just had our Kindergarten Christmas gift exchange. I went running into our house, trying to keep up to my dad, holding the little plastic doll I had received in the exchange and had the biggest smile on my face. I was so excited to show my little sister the toy I had just received.  but was still a little confused about the kids in my class reaction to my present. My mom could tell something was on my mind and asked me what was wrong. I had explained to her how I had given Jane* the present we had gotten her, which was some hot chocolate, candy Cains, a pair of socks, and a my littlest pet shop toy; she loved it so much that she gave me a big hug. It made me so happy to see her be excited. When it was my turn to receive her gift, I opened it and was happy with the little doll I got. However, the other girls within the class were disgusted and laughing at the present I got. I told my mom that I know that I did not get as much as the other kids, but I was happy with what I got, and I did not understand why they were so rude. 

“Kids are just plan mean and don’t understand, that’s why,” my mom explained “Sit on the couch I want to explain something to you”. I hopped up on the couch with my dad and mom while my sister played at our feet; they then explained to me Jane’s* situation. She explained to me how her family does not have as much money as our family, just like how we did not have as much money as others, and this is why I did not get as much as the other kids or as expensive as a gift as some of the other. “But I like my gift and that doesn’t matter!” I explained to my mom. My dad then proceeded to tell me that “I know and I’m proud of you for that because it should not matter how much money someone has that determines whether your friends with them or not. A lot of kids aren’t taught that some people can’t afford to buy presents for other kids and that they need that money for other things”. 

My mom proceeded to ask me questions that helped me understand things better. She asked me if I had noticed that Jane* had never been at any of the other kids’ birthday parties, but mine. It quickly dawned on me that she had not been, and I was the only one she had been at throughout the year that far. “Do you want to know why?” she asked, and she proceeded to tell me how she had talked to Jane’s* parents before and they had explained why Jane* was not at any of the birthdays. When it came to mine, she had called her parents to inform them that I was not expecting to receive a gift from the other kids, and that I would really appreciate if she came to just have fun. I had not known that my mom had done that, I had just remembered being so happy that she was able to come. 

I jumped off the couch and quickly ran to grab so paper and markers. I dropped them at my feet where I sat down and got to work. “What are you doing?” my dad asked me with a confused look on his face. “I’m making a thank you card! Can we go drop it off at Jane’s* house later?” My parents laughed and said “Of course”. I continued to work on the card while my parents went off to start getting supper ready. Snap! I quickly looked up and over at my sister. She had gotten a hold of the doll and its leg was now snapped off. I was so upset. 

*Name changed