Subtracting the Gluten-Let’s Get Cooking!

May 10, 2022 4 By Tadyn Martinook

When I found out that a learning project would be incorporated within this course, my mind quickly spun to what type of artsy or crafty project I wanted to attempt. I started to think about whether I wanted to further teach myself more painting and drawing techniques, or if I wanted to learn something new like knitting, origami, or woodworking of some sort. I did a similar project in the winter term where I learned how to burn wood, and created a sign for our seasonal campsite. However, when asking my mom for her opinion and different ideas why I did not learn to make different gluten free meals and baking. It has recently been brought to my intention that I have a fairly bad gluten/wheat intolerance over the last couple of months, and while living away from home as a university student I found myself having a hard time avoiding it as much as I should. While I did try my best I often would rely on the same couple meal ideas over and over again. Now that I am home for the spring/summer, why don’t I use this perfect opportunity to try out different ideas and recipes!

My current cooking and baking skills are pretty limited, however, I plan to change this as I work through this project. Growing up I tried to help out in the kitchen whenever I could and have a fairly easy time when it comes to baking things such as muffins, and cookies other than the odd time I over cook them. When it comes to cooking there are a few things that I have down pat such as cooking chicken, making pastas, homemade fries, different types of bowls, and more. I would like to extend my range and attempt new things, or even adjust the recipes I do know to fit the goal of my project. 

As part of this project I not only want to try different recipes such as baking with gluten free flour, but I also want to try recipes that use substitutes to replace ideas that contain gluten as well. For example, instead of just purchasing gluten free noodles when creating pasta recipes all the time, why not substitute the noodles and make your own zucchini noodles. I quickly began searching for ideas online and different ideas and resources I can use; one website being Beyond Celiac. On this website there are so many helpful videos; there is everything from baking recipes, cooking recipes, tips when baking gluten free, different gluten free products, how to make your own flour mixes, and so much more. I also plan to find a variety of Youtube videos online that will guide me in making some of these meals and snacks. I have already found a muffin recipe and pierogi recipe that I plan to test out! Another place that I have seen some great ideas that I want to try is from Tiktok and Instagram. So many people are so willing to share their journeys and ideas on these apps, making it so easy to access recipes and videos to guide you along your own path. There are so many recipes that I already want to try that I can’t wait to get started!

As part of my first attempt this week I plan to make a gluten free blueberry or mixed berry muffins using this recipe here. I cant wait to test them out and share my progress with everyone!