Let’s Make a Pasta

June 4, 2022 3 By Tadyn Martinook

This week while at the grocery store some of my family’s favourite gluten-free sausages were on sale in Superstore; and as we trying to plan out meals for the next couple of days I knew I wanted to make something using these! I wanted to try looking for recipes from a different resource this time, so I decided to head over to Pinterest. I enjoy looking at Pinterest because it is a very visual site! I know for myself that especially when it comes to new recipes I am hesitant to try them if the photos of the recipe do not look appealing, or there are no visuals at all. After clicking on a few different meal ideas I came across this spicy sausage pasta recipe and knew I had to try it. 

Similar to past blog post recipes, I found this recipe really easy to follow. This one was especially easy as it was a three-step recipe that took no longer than 30 minutes to make. This site provided so many visuals of what each step should look like and of the products they have chosen to use if you wanted to purchase the exact same products they did. I also enjoyed that there was a nutrition chart provided for one serving size of the spicy sausage pasta, similar to the recipe in my last blog post. On this site I also found it cool and quite helpful that they provide you with the option to change the scale of the recipe, so you do not have to do conversions yourself

Here is a list of ingredients needed to recreate this recipe:

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lb smoked sausage
  • 1.5 cups diced onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 8 oz penne pasta
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
  • 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions

This week, just like last week, I decided I would make another TikTok to document my process as I found it really easy to do, and doesn’t take as much time as it does to make and edit a youtube video. If you want to read about my TikTok-making process and how it can be used as an education tool, check out this post!

To start off this recipe was not a specific gluten-free recipe, but I knew it would be easy enough to substitute items to make it gluten-free. For my substitutions, I used this gluten-free sausage and gluten-free penne noodles. I began my prepping by defrosting the sausage and chopping it into small pieces, and then chopped and minced the garlic up as well. You will want to make sure you use an oven-safe pan or skillet, as you will be placing it into the oven to finish off the pasta. To start off turn your stove to medium-high heat, add olive oil to the pan and wait for it to begin smoking. Once smoking adds the onions and sausage to the pan, frying them for about 5 minutes. Add garlic to the pan and cook for another minute. Then add the gluten-free noodles, chicken broth, whipping cream, tomato and chillies mix, and salt and pepper to the pan and bring to a boil. Because you want the noodles to gain the flavour of the sauce there is no need to boil the noodles beforehand as they will cook directly in the sauce. Once boil place a lid on the pan, turn down to medium-low heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are tender. When the noodles are done add half of your cheese to the pan and mix in until melted. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place in the oven to broil until cheese is bubbling and browning in places. Then it is ready to enjoy!

@tadynmartinook

This week as part of my #edtc300 learning project, I turned this spicy sausage pasta recipe into a gluten-free one. Turned out so delicious! #glutenfreetiktok #glutenfree #pasta

♬ Jazz Food Cooking – Playdays2021

This recipe is by far the best recipe I have tried yet (even though I said that last week). I made a none gluten-free one for the rest of my family, and they all tried a bite of mine and said that they tasted no difference at all and possibly even enjoyed the taste of mine better. One thing I would like to mention is if you do not like spicy food, this recipe is not the one for you as every bite was filled with flavour and spicy. The next time I attempt this recipe I do plan to try the chop my sausage into smaller pieces as I found some of them were bigger than I would have liked, or try ground sausage to ensure it was small pieces. Other than that this recipe was great and did not take long to make.

Thanks to everyone who is following along with my journey!