What are we really talking about when we discuss technology and equity?

I think the issue with this “issue” is, “What are we really arguing for?”  Both groups made excellent points arguing for their side, but the issue was kind of muddied during the debate.

Kennedy and Ummey made great points, giving us a background of how technology helps “Bridge the Gap” and help those individuals get access to technology that helps them with things such as academic support to be able to overcome barriers that have prevented them from participating in the past.  There is no doubt that technology is an amazing tool that can help those in need to be able to balance the scales, and for them to live a more equitable life.

In a throwback to Don Cherry’s glory days, Graeme and Jeff brought out some hard-hitting facts to solidify their stance on how technology has led to an even greater discrepancy, highlighting access to technology as one of the main causes for that.  While  Graeme embodied the persona of Don Cherry a little too well, what differed from the real Don Cherry was that he actually made some great points in his segment.  Graeme brought out some heavy hitters, such as economic disparity and outdated technology, which really hurts Tech Equity.

I feel that Laura really said it best, while in class.  We aren’t talking about technology, we’re talking about money and who has it, and who doesn’t.  Our class is a perfect example of how technology has created an equitable learning environment, where there is some of the class who is attending each week from outside of Saskatchewan, and even some outside of Canada.  While some of us could have made it work if these classes were in person on campus, others would not be able to, due to outside factors.  So in this case, technology is creating an equitable situation for us all.  But again to Laura’s point, we are all able to take this class due to the economic privileges that we have.  We all have access to a device and internet that allows us to log in each week to class, as well as allowing us a platform to complete our research and assignments.

So, who’s side of the debate do I agree with? 
Both sides built great arguments, and it’s not like I am playing the fence here, but I feel that they are both winners in this debate.
Technology is such a great tool, and when used and implemented correctly, builds an equitable world for those involved.  Kennedy and Ummey went beyond where many of us were thinking when we saw this debate topic.  I think many of us just limited our thinking to technology in schools, such as chromebooks and SmartBoards, this group brought up the ideas of wheelchairs and prosthetics, which we are bound to see in schools as well.
And back to Graeme and Jeff for the second intermission to hear their thoughts.  They highlighted the aspect of access to technology, and how that has created an even greater imbalance in our society.  As the saying goes, “The rich getting richer.”  And while I’m not talking about money in a literal sense, the point is that those who have access to technology, and able to updating it as new technology is released, they have a greater edge to those classmates who can not.
So in closing, this debate opened my perspective to what I considered as technology, and how it can be used to create equity, it all comes down to those who have access to technology, and if that is still an issue, there will not be complete equity.

Leave a Reply: