How do we balance a teachers workload with teaching students digital literacy?

We live in a society where the expectation is to be able to look up someone’s name, and their LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, and news stories pop up.  So what can, or what should educators and adults do to prepare youth for creating a digital footprint?

We are all at an age, where the internet has evolved in our lifetime.  We joined Facebook when it first started gaining traction or can remember our first phone that had internet, and now smartphones.  We didn’t know what a digital footprint was, but you can now google yourself, and your social media accounts pop up, with your profile pictures in the images, and maybe a news article or two can appear.  So, how are we expected to teach youth about their own digital footprints, while we learned everything on our own?  Well, we did have the life experience to help us make decisions in how we interact with the internet prior to being fully immersed in a digital world, where youth will sometimes grow up online, having their lives documented by their parents, which creates a digital footprint without their knowledge or consent.

Both groups presented great arguments as well as provided us resources to inform us with information to have us ponder our pre-notion on the topic.

Curriculums are continuously being renewed, and as Laura and JR highlighted that curriculums in Saskatchewan and the Yukon do include general guidelines for educators to teach digital citizenship, but as Rahima and Jessica pointed out, teachers are feeling overwhelmed with continuously being asked to incorporate new content into the classroom.  So, where does that leave us?

While it is my opinion that it is not up to educators to create digital footprints for youth, it is up to them, as well as parents, to inform youth about digital rights and responsibilities, and how to create a positive digital footprint and identity.  I was on the fence prior to the debate, and I feel like I am swaying one way, then swinging back to the other side.  So, as of this writing, I would say my average feeling is still in the middle.

While digital literacy and other similar content aren’t found in the outcomes and indicators teachers are teaching from, it does fall under the aspect of the holistic approach for the students.  If we are only teaching the students what the curriculum says, are we really putting our full effort in helping mold these children into being fully, functioning citizens once they leave the education system?

“BUT WHAT ARE WE GOING TO CUT OUT?”

As someone who was primarily a high school math and science teacher, finding himself teaching other subjects like middle years health and ELA, I can see and have found opportunities in these subjects to incorporate these discussions.  Yes, seeing 15 outcomes to assess is daungting, and even more so when you look up the units you need to teach in ELA, but why not make inquiry projects for these students, or have them write persuasive writings on these topics.  These are just a couple of examples from a math teacher, who has found a way in incorporating digital citizenship in his class, without cutting out key content from the curriculum.  And some of you may argue that we can cut out things like Algebra, because we don’t like when numbers and letters mix, that is your opinion, and would be open to having a conversation about why it’s important to be taught.

But I am still not 100% committed to that side of the argument, as I am a teacher, and with being constantly asked to do more and more as a classroom teacher, what is going to be that one thing that is finally too much for a teacher.  While I am not at a point where I am choosing the option at the bottom in the picture to the right, I do see others points where they are starting to say, enough is enough.  You want me to teach the curriculum, but also manage the behaviours and learning challenges that I have in my classroom with only 24 desks, but have 28 students, and now I’m also expected to teach stuff outside the curriculum while still giving feedback on each assignment and completing RTI… WHERE AND WHEN DOES IT STOP?!?!  And this is one question I feel comfortable answering, and my answer is “I don’t know”.

I can find myself working myself up about decisions that are beyond my control, and look inward and around my classroom and take control of what I can have an impact on, and it’s these students.  We need to make the most of our time with these students, and try our best to have them ready for the next stage in life once they walk out of our classroom.  And we see how important digital citizenship has become, and so, we as teachers must help these students understand what that is, and give them the tools to make proper decisions that can have an impact on their futures.

Leave a Reply: