Navigating the Digital Jungle

Hi everyone.

I graduated high school in 2010. While internet and social media were present, it was nowhere near as big as it is now. However, I do recall talking about cyber safety in our schools. Much like sex, drugs, and alcohol, the teachers would often use the “fear” tactic while teaching the topic. We learned what NOT to do on the internet but never what TO do. While these videos did teach us what could happen in a worst-case scenario, I don’t believe this was not the most effective way to teach.

Picture of a "digital jungle".

Moving into my internship, I am planning to approach this topic using a different strategy. Looking at the 9 elements of digital citizenship, I plan on starting with digital communication. To navigate the big world of the internet, I believe that proper communication encourages students to treat others with respect even when one might disagree with someone else’s viewpoint or opinion. I believe this is not only a strong skill to have in the digital world, but also in real life. Teaching about proper communication, I do believe will have a positive affects on digital etiquette, digital rights and responsibilities, and digital health and wellness as well.

Digital compass

Another aspect of the 9 elements of digital citizenship I want to focus on is digital literacy. With so much false information out there, it is important for educators to explain what can and cannot be trusted. This is a skill that everyone needs to understand as we become more and more dependent as time goes on. With people posting false information for clout or views, many young people are falling victim in what they are saying. This can potentially lead to major problems. We must become proactive on the fact rather than reactive.

What do you all thing is the most important element of the 9 elements of digital citizenship? Let me know in the comments!

Zach

Published by

nenson1z

My name is Zach Nenson.  I was born here in Regina, Saskatchewan.  I have lived here my hole life with majority of my family here who I am very close with.  I attended W.F. Ready Elementary School and Balfour Collegiate High School.  After high school I went on to University of Regina on a wrestling scholarship studying Kinesiology.  I ended up dropping out after a year and decided to enter the work force.  I started working as an electrician and obtained a journeyman ticket from Sask Polytechnic in Moose Jaw.  After working as an electrician for about five years I realized it was something that I did not want to do for the rest of my life.  It didn't give me the fulfilment I was looking for in a life long career.       I currently am working as an educational assistant for Regina Public Schools.  I have been doing this for about five years now.  This is the main reason why I decided to get into Education.  I found a real passion helping kids in the classroom.  The satisfaction I get while seeing the progress these kids make throughout the year not only as a student but as an individual is something I will never get sick of seeing.  Growing up with a mom who is an educator I've seen what a fun but challenging career like this can look like. In my spare time I enjoy spending it with family and friends.  I have played all kinds of sports my whole life so any type of exercise I enjoy.  The two sports I currently still play is soccer and golf.  When I have time I really enjoy traveling as well.  Right after high school I went to Thailand for three months where I didn't leave the beach.  A few years later I went backpacking through South America for about six months.  The memories and friends I met along the way are memories that I will never forget.  I loved learning different types of cultures and customs that other countries had to offer.  It has taught me many different life lessons as well as to be open minded while meeting people with different life styles than mine. 

3 thoughts on “Navigating the Digital Jungle”

1. Hi Zach,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I completely agree, it is really important to teach students what TO DO instead of only what not to do. Lead by example! I hope to teach high school health in the future and I also think that the nine elements of digital citizenship are a great foundation for teaching our students about digital citizenship. Because digital citizenship isn’t it’s own class (unfortunately), I also think it would be really challenging to cover all 9 elements in-depth in any subject. I think the ones you chose to focus on are a great core group. I think I would probably focus on Digital Law, Digital Rights and Responsibilities, and Digital Safety. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, have a good week!

2. Hey Zach!
    I enjoyed reading your post and I can relate to the “fear” tactic teachers use when teaching about internet use or cyber safety. I like your plan to approach this topic with your students during your internship using a different approach. As educators, we should help our students bridge the gap between how to use a device and ways to effectively and responsibly utilize technology.

3. Hey Zach,
    I completely agree, we need to prepare our students by giving them all the information. The act of removing obstacles in hopes that children will respect those boundaries while given absolutely no information to protect themselves when they definitely end up stumbling across what we tried to remove for them has definitely not served children in the past, nor will it do so in the future. Especially when all of the scary internet things are so easily and readily available… all at their very curious fingertips.
    Your suggestion of the 9 elements of digital citizenship beginning with communication is perfect. Talking to our students and actually listening to what they have to say on the topic will allow us to actually know where we are in the process of teaching them how to keep themselves as well as their peers safe.