Major Project Inspired by Dr. Mike Ribble

There is a responsibility of educators and parents to educate our students/children with the use of technology. After listening to Dr. Mike Ribble, I was prompted to get my hands on his latest book “The Digital Citizenship Handbook for School Leaders” co-authored with Marty Park. I request to borrow the book from the STF library and received it in two days! (Here’s my plug to think about utilizing the STF Library for other educational resources, from textbooks to children’s books!)

My Major Project is still in the infancy of production but my plan is to use “The Digital Citizenship Handbook for School Leaders” , Common Sense Media Scope and Sequence as well as Media Smarts to curate a document for K-2 teachers.

Screen shot from Dr. Ribble’s Presentation to EC&I 832 February 1st Class

My goal is to reach Level 3 or 4 (from the above image) by creating a DigCit plan for students in the early years (K-2) to have skills to move from literacy to fluency as they get older. Another key point in the early years digital citizenship is to help parents navigate the digital world as their children grow up. Families of young children need the support from school leaders at home, to be involved in raising digital citizens to live and work in the rapidly changing society.

Image from www.pewresearch.org

Though I have only begun to delve into this Major Project, I am looking forward to producing a practical guide for teachers to use with a component to share and educate parents as well.

If you are a parent or educator, what would you suggest to include in this document?