Improving my relationship with technology one blog post at a time.

Métis Beading: The Very Beginning

Does anyone even remember what we did before we had the internet to use as our go-to?

Yeah, actually I do because the internet wasn’t generally used until I was almost a teenager!

How did we survive or accomplish anything before YouTube?!

Library, card catalogue

We went to the library and searched the PAPER CARD CATALOGUE to find A BOOK with the information we were looking for!

Coming from someone who doesn’t access nearly as many tech gadgets/websites/apps as I maybe should, YouTube has been an amazing teacher in other subject areas, and when it comes to my Learning Project, it’s proving to be most helpful.

When I introduced myself as a beginner, the internet has confirmed and reminded me that I am most definitely a beginner. I’ve sewn buttons back onto clothing before or mended a small rip in a favourite pair of mittens, but when it comes to accomplishing something creative with string or thread AND beads? Next level difficult!

Lucky for me, there are experienced people out there who are also able to share their knowledge in manageable steps for people like me. Miss Chambers has posted a series of videos on her YouTube channel that are simple to follow, well laid-out and have a clear goal in mind that she sets out to accomplish during the video duration.

This project definitely seems like something that will challenge me, but won’t frustrate me to the point that I want to toss all of my supplies into the garbage and set it on fire. My plan for this week is to choose a pattern that I can follow easily, most like a simple floral as depicted int he video preview, and decide on the colours of beads I plan to use. Once I have a list of materials, I’m going to get everything ordered online. We have very few options in town that I’ll likely have to order everything online unless I time it right to grab my supplies the next time I’m in the city.

Watching a couple of short tutorials has definitely sparked my excitement for this project!

1 Comment

1. Kyle Tatton

Hi Chantelle! I think beading is a really creative idea for your learning project and I am excited to check in and see how it turns out. I enjoyed how you highlighted the approachable nature of a YouTube video. Having the steps shown to you in real-time can be a big help for someone who is learning something new. Especially with something as intricate as beading. Best of luck this week gathering your supplies!