Final Blog Post- Contributing to the Learning of Others

Through the semester we were supposed to comment on our classmates blogs and communicate through the Discord community. I dropped the ball on this, and while going through some personal issues I failed to keep up with commenting. I thought about trying to do a semester’s worth of commenting in one week, but I felt like that would be insincere to the class, not to mention the amount of notifications my classmates would be getting could get annoying.

I wanted to show that I am sincerely trying for this post, instead of just commenting things like “This is a good point” and stuff like that last minute. So, I went through some of the blogs and wanted to point out some awesome things I noticed in them!

Starting with Everett, who had decided to learn to draw for his learning project! Their learning posts were very easy to read, and the titles were very eye-catching. If there were clickbait ads with these titles, I would definitely click on them without hesitation. Seeing how the drawings took shape from the first post titled “Shaping Up”, where he drew a really well done hand, all the way to the most recent post, “Slow Progress is Ok”where they drew an absolutely amazing sketch of their cat. The effort they put into the learning project was definitely noticeable from viewing his drawings, and from reading the posts themselves!

Moving to Cody’s ePortfolio.

It was a sort of comfort read since we knew each other before this class, and I love guitar. His blog was a very easy read, and wow did his skills shine! Going from having no guitar experience, to teaching himself via the resources he found and being able to shred out Nirvana for his final post is absolutely awesome. I’ve been playing guitar for a while, and he learned what took me four different guitar teachers to learn. From. Tech. Resources. If that isn’t impressive, I don’t know what is. I also paired with Cody to do the peer research task from week 11, and he did a very good job researching me!! I didn’t even realize that much of me was on the internet, let alone my cat’s Instagram account. Cody also had a post about mental health, and even went as far as to tell everyone in the class he is a safe space if we need to talk, which was incredibly kind of him.

The last blog I read was Raisa’s, who decided to learn to crochet! Her blog is very well organised, with easy to navigate headers and lots of pictures per post. The effort she put into her crocheting is incredibly impressive, and backed up with photo evidence. Even when she was frustrated with crocheting, she powered through and persevered, while also taking care of herself. I initially was going to read this ePortfolio second instead of last, but then I began to read her post titled “Giving Myself Grace”. It is an incredibly personal post that had me reflecting within myself and my own mental health struggles this year. This post gave a sense of inspiration, and I wish I had read it as soon as it was posted. Raisa persevered and went on to make some really cute clothing for her dog!

In the end, I honestly didn’t contribute to others much at all, and I do regret that. Reading the blogs and seeing what everyone did for their projects and the resources they found was really interesting. Seeing some of the mental health posts and how they persevered and pushed through was inspiring, and I wish I had read them before now. It made me feel less alone in the class mentally, and I regret not being able to do the same throughout the semester.  Thank you all for all of the amazing blog posts!

– Dallas

About Dallas Thody

The University of Regina, K-5 Elementary Education, They/Them pronouns!
This entry was posted in EDTC 300. Bookmark the permalink.