After my fifth week at St. Michaels Community school, I feel as if the students are starting to really get to know me, as I am with them. This week, I focused on inclusive education and diversity. Although this week there wasn’t a ton of observable ways this could be expressed, as my half day was spent at Jack Staples Ice Arena. There, I was helping prepare grade ones, twos and threes for an afternoon of learning to skate. I tied skates for about 30-45 minutes, then got mine on and went skating with the kids. I helped kids learn to get up after falling down, as for many, it was their first time on the ice. The kids seemed ecstatic to spend the day out of the classroom and even though they had trouble skating, they tried hard to learn. Overall, it was a really fulfilling day for me.

Inclusiveness may not have been a large factor in my half day, excluding that all kids were able-bodied to skate. In terms of equity and human rights, all kids were permitted and there weren’t any activities that could limit one’s time on the ice.

In conclusion, my fifth half day was very enjoyable and I had a great time! The only negative I had was the fact that I was not faced with many opportunities to further my interpretation of the school honoring diversity, equity and human rights.