Week 1

Me in front of the school in my first week!

I started my field experience with no expectations or ideas on what the first day was going to be like, since last time I was in a ⅔ classroom I was in the third grade. The morning started off great. I met the principal and my placement teacher along with other staff members at recess. Before the students arrived my placement partner and I got the lowdown on some of the children. Our teacher went on to explain the temperaments, situations and needs of specific students which really opened my eyes to how accommodating and welcoming this school is. The community from my first impression was diverse in children and teachers. The staff room banter was very light hearted and fun to participate in. It was a new perspective of school I have never experienced. I felt very welcome, an abundance of hugs came our way when it was time to leave at lunch.

A look at the grade 2/3 classroom!

I noticed the classroom’s colours and organization right away. They have a routine of where to put things and it was enforced that the classroom, “ is not your home so, do not leave you stuff everywhere”. The students were also participating in an attendance competition with another class and the class with the better attendance gets a donut party. Activities like this show a link between school and community. This friendly competition establishes a connection with another group of students and promotes good attendance, which are both useful social and communal skills. Overall, I had a great morning and can not wait to learn more about the students and community while continuing my educational journey.