Week 4 – Trying Something New

Greetings, reader!

For this week’s blog, we were assigned to try a tool we have not used before to document our learning project.

To document my learning (and show people what I have been doing), here is a video I made using Microsoft ClipChamp, a free-to-use video editing software that was on my computer. I have never used it before, so hopefully my video turned out alright. It was too big to upload to my blog, so I have attached it into a google document for your viewing pleasure.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/19x5sbhNfCwQw4KOqM0AI6aofuwfdPo68-ZfZCU51ZBg/edit?usp=sharing

Please leave me a comment if this video is not viewable! I set it so anybody with the link can view.

As far as how I feel about my progression through my learning goal, I was thinking about some of the comments I received from my readers! One of them suggested making flash cards, as I would be able to memorize words efficiently. That is something I think I will do! I find that in a span of 3-4 lessons, 25-50 words are generally practiced at a time in DuoLingo.

I spend a lot of time commuting, and I find it amusing that I am starting to think of phrases in French while I am driving. Even if it is something simple like “tu manges une pizza” (you are eating a pizza), or “bonne journée, à bientôt” (have a good day, see you soon), I see this as progress!

Certain phrases are difficult for me to remember, for example “parle” (speak) can also be spelled “parles” or “parlez” depending on the context. I find that this has been the most difficult thing for me to understand. I am getting better at understanding the language as it is spoken to me, however repeating it and using the proper spelling of the terms is difficult to get a grasp of! I think the suggestion of flash cards will come in very handy for this.

Back to my usage of ClipChamp, and how I feel it relates to the SAMR model

S- Substitution

For students, viewing a short video is often an efficient way to gather the important points of a certain topic. Rather than a long-winded blog about DuoLingo, why not just show you it in a quick video?

A- Augmentation

For a teacher using a software like ClipChamp, augmentation is attainable through sharing videos with the class. Students can choose to go back, rewind, and view any videos/multimedia that they wish at anytime.

M – Modification

I think video-editing software such as ClipChamp makes for a great modification of a presentation, particularly for students who may be too shy to speak in front of a class, or also for those who may be too long-winded to be concise. It made for a quick, and easy way for me to represent what I have been learning.

R- Redefinition

As was mentioned in “M- Modification”, editing software such as ClipChamp creates a unique opportunity for students to share what they have learned through creating a video. In redefining, students can share what they have learned not only amongst each other, but also have opportunities to post their videos onto a blog like this, or onto another platform such as YouTube!

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Did you like my video, and do you have any tips for editing videos?

3 thoughts on “Week 4 – Trying Something New

1. Hey Darian I was reading everything in your blog today and I couldnt seem to open the video you linked it kept asking me to request permission, but I do like what you’re doing here. I am learning Spanish on Duolingo and Its good to see that everyone who is learning a language is using Duolingo.

2. Hello Darian, I read through your post and it seems that you’re progressing well. I also was not able to access the video and kept asking me to request permission. I am using Duolingo to enhance on my Arabic. I think it’s a great website for anyone who is learning a new language. I also really liked how you explained the SAMR method. Good luck with your learning project!!

3. Hey Darian!
    I love the idea of using ClipChamp in order to record your learning! Seems like the new language is coming along nicely! have you tried any other video software or was clipchamp just one that worked for you?